• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Evilaries45

What is the name of your state?California

To make a long story short I was falsely accused of assualt and battery, the day of trial the accuser did not show, probably because her story was madeup of all lies, so the case was dismissed. Is there anything I can do to make sure that she faces charges for filing a false police report, compensation for money paid for my defense, and is there a potential case against for for slander or defamation of character? Its not fair that she can just get away with this without facing any type of puinshment when I was inicent the whole time and she was just bitter about life in general and chose me to make pay for it. Please help! Anyone! :confused:

CdwJava

Evilaries45 said:
Is there anything I can do to make sure that she faces charges for filing a false police report, compensation for money paid for my defense, and is there a potential case against for for slander or defamation of character?
Not showing for a hearing and having charges dropped is not sufficient to file charges for filing charges for a false police report. The state would have to prove that the crime report was knowingly and intentionally false ... and this can be a very high level of proof to reach.

You can gather the money and try to sue her. But rarely does this ever go anywhere. But, only your financial resources limit your ability to give it a go. Criminal charges are not too likely ... unless she has since recanted and confessed to making it all up. Lacking that, it's not likely to happen.

Its not fair that she can just get away with this without facing any type of puinshment when I was inicent the whole time and she was just bitter about life in general and chose me to make pay for it. Please help! Anyone! :confused:
Speak with an attorney about a civil suit. Lacking that, it may be time to move past it.

Sorry.

E

Evilaries45

thank you

Thats just what I figured. Thank you for your advice and time. However I can't just move past this, it's not fair for an innocent man to loose everything he has struggled in life to save because he chose to help another humanbeing try to get on their feet. Helping a person in need is the only thing I am guilty of. What happens to the next innocent man that comes along and doesn't have the strength to stand his ground and pleas out, now he is tarnished for life because of a vindictive woman. Call me ignorant for asking you this, because this will be a new journey in life for me, but do you know who I should contact with regards to bringing attention to this type of injustice that seems to me is happening all top rgularly, in hopes to have laws amended to stop this. Thank you very much again for your input and sorry if I appear to be a bit of a ...hole it is not meant fore you just venting my frustrations.

CdwJava

Part of the reason that the threshold for charges must be relatively high is to avoid dissuading people from reporting crimes. If we could charge every person whose original reported offense was later dropped for a lack of evidence or contradictory statements, the whole system would collapse because nobody would ever report a crime for fear of such retaliation.

The only person that can amend the laws is your state Assemblyman or state Senator. However, lowering the bar is not likely to happen for the reasons I stated above. You might consider contacting the reporting law enforcement agency or your DA's office and asking them to consider pressing charges for filing a false report, but I will guess that unless they feel they had been snookered, they aren't going to pursue it.

It may be time to move past this and be satisfied that "the system" worked and you were ultimately vindicated.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">