• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the odds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Violet_mac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan, Maryland
Well this is my Q, my boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for a while but there is a tad problem. He is 17 turning 18 in a few months and I just turned 15 this year, I know age of consent in both states is 16 but since he is still technically a minor until his birthday if we would have sex before then would the law be a factor? What if a pregnancy results?

FlyingRon

In Michigan he's going to jail for 15 years.
In Maryland he's in slightly better shape.
It's a violation of federal law as well since this appears to be an interstate issue which also could result in prison.

Trying to get your rape in before his 18th birthday isn't going to have any bearing on the situation.

What if a pregnancy results?
What indeed. You really should realize that barring the legal implications, the very serious personal situation of you potentially not only messing up your own lives but bringing a child into the world for casual gratification and not being able to actually act as responsible parents to it is a substantial issue.

cyjeff

And if he brings you across state lines for his "present", he is also violating federal law.

Google "the Mann Act".

Federal prison for an 18 year old child molester will NOT be a good experience.

cyjeff

What if we wait until im 16 which is legal consent?
What if you wait until your parents give you permission?

You don't seem to understand that if you guys TALKED about sex or did anything more sexually stimulating than a passionate high five, your boyfriend gets to go to prison for DECADES.

If he has ever touched your woo woo or you have ever touched his pee pee, he is going to PRISON.

Violet_mac

First you can penis and vagina and im highly educated on the terms and process of having sex, don't need to be cute but all im saying is if its legal on both ends, then its legal on both ends 16 with 18, which I did see on a another legal advice website, stated that it was okay only if parents agreed shich I will personally handle. The only reply Q I had was if I as 16 not your moral opinion but obviously you do not know where im getting at but I do respect your advice and thank you.

cyjeff

First you can penis and vagina and im highly educated on the terms and process of having sex, don't need to be cute but all im saying is if its legal on both ends, then its legal on both ends 16 with 18, which I did see on a another legal advice website, stated that it was okay only if parents agreed shich I will personally handle. The only reply Q I had was if I as 16 not your moral opinion but obviously you do not know where im getting at but I do respect your advice and thank you.
Fine.

If your manfriend has, via his PENIS, his MOUTH or his FINGERS touched your VAGINA, BREASTS or ANUS to stimulate or arouse you, a CHILD, or you have used your MOUTH or your FINGERS to stimulate or arouse HIM, HE is going to prison.

YOU are a child. HE is going to prison if you have done anything that you wouldn't do in the front pew in church on Christmas morning.

That is NOT a moral judgement, little girl... it is a legal reality.

If he touched you in any way while you were 14, the stakes go through the roof.

Further, if you are not smart enough to figure out how to protect yourself, you aren't smart enough to be having sex. I wouldn't call that "highly educated in the terms and processes of having sex".

Was THAT grown up enough for you, princess?

Violet_mac

He never touched me before if you notice I said MI and MD, but you keep saying it of my age now my new question was about me being 16. You do not have to say little girl or princess I just want all my questions answered even if they do seem the same, because I hear what your saying but talking me down doesn't help neither.

cyjeff

He never touched me before if you notice I said MI and MD, but you keep saying it of my age now my new question was about me being 16. You do not have to say little girl or princess I just want all my questions answered even if they do seem the same, because I hear what your saying but talking me down doesn't help neither.
But you aren't 16. You are 15.

Bringing a minor across state lines for sexual congress violates the Mann Act. This means big boy prison where your boyfriend's sexual favors will be traded around the cell block in return for a pudding cup.

Further, you parents can not make the illegal legal simply by giving their consent. They can rent you the hotel room, pass him a condom on the way to the elevator and give him a hearty high five after you come back down and it is STILL illegal.

All that would mean is that your parents would be charged as well for not protecting you.

So, your boyfriend hasn't touched you in two years. Never, not once. Further, you have never had the "won't it be so great when we can..." talk?

You see, that conversation is illegal. People have gone to prison for it.

Violet_mac

Thank you thats what I mean i didnt convo was illegal but yes i kno my age i just wanted to do a what if in future things and yes, we never made contact....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Additionally, the age of consent and the age of majority are two different things. The age of consent means that stat rape is off the table. Reaching the age of consent without also reaching the age of majority (in NO state is the age of majority younger than 18) does not mean that there are no charges that can be filed; it means only that of the charges that can be filed, one of them will not be stat rape.

If at any time after he reaches the age of 18, while you are still under the age of 18, you cross state lines for the purpose of having sex, it doesn't matter a hill of beans if you are over the age of consent for your particular state or not; there are FEDERAL charges that can be made against your bf and he will go to a FEDERAL prison.

And regardless of any of this, if your parents say no, it is no. The law will NEVER tell a parent that they have to allow their underaged child (age of consent notwithstanding, if you are even one minute under the age of 18, you are underaged) to have any kind of contact, sexual or otherwise, with someone they do not want her to have contact with. As long as you are even one minute (she says again) under the age of 18, not 16 but 18, what your parents say goes. If they say you cannot even be in the same room with him, then you cannot. Period. End of story. If they say you cannot see, talk to, phone, IM, pass messages through a friend, leave messages on Facebook or myspace, and any other form of communication you can think of including telegrams (singing or otherwise), carrier pigeons and smoke signals, then you can't. Period. End of story. And the law will back them up 100%.

Yes, this means even after you are 16. 16 is not the age of majority.

Are you beginning to get the idea here that you both need to keep it zipped a while longer?

Violet_mac

Yes i do nd thnx for the advice and honestly if i didnt see my situation happening with others go so smooth i wouldnt really be asking....im not sayin the law enforcing this is weak but its showed everywhere with 15 and 18 or 16 and 18 having sexual relations with parents knowing and nothing legal wise has taken place ever.....maybe im too comfortable with the positives

cyjeff

Yes i do nd thnx for the advice and honestly if i didnt see my situation happening with others go so smooth i wouldnt really be asking....im not sayin the law enforcing this is weak but its showed everywhere with 15 and 18 or 16 and 18 having sexual relations with parents knowing and nothing legal wise has taken place ever.....maybe im too comfortable with the positives
You are not going to find a "go ahead an do him" answer here.

I don't give a crap about other people you know that, at 15, are having sex "smoothly".

It is still wrong. If found out by the police, a mandatory reporter or any other citizen, the police can be called.

By the way, another misconception is that only the parents of the child can call the police. That is incorrect.

ANYONE that sees a child being raped should immediately call the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">