• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the penalties for welfare fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicemom

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I know someone who is committing welfare fraud and believe they should be held responsible for it. I believe I could gather evidence of it with some effort. After a little internet research, it appears that people convicted of this type of fraud, even with high dollar amounts at stake, rarely see jail time. It appears typical to be sentenced to probation and ordered to pay restitution. What happens if the convicted person does not pay the restitution? I support welfare programs for those really in need, but I am tired of able-bodied people taking hand-outs on hard-working people's tax dollars. I am willing to make the effort to gather the evidence if there is at least a chance that this person will be held responsible at some point. Please tell me what is typical after probation and restitution is ordered. Thank you.

You have a lot of free time dont you? Where it is awful that people abuse the Welfare system I dont know that its wise that you become obcessed with it and become a viglante! Most states have a fraud report hotline use it and drop it. I am certain you have your own personal issues to deal with rather than someone elses.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I know someone who is committing welfare fraud and believe they should be held responsible for it. I believe I could gather evidence of it with some effort. After a little internet research, it appears that people convicted of this type of fraud, even with high dollar amounts at stake, rarely see jail time. It appears typical to be sentenced to probation and ordered to pay restitution. What happens if the convicted person does not pay the restitution? I support welfare programs for those really in need, but I am tired of able-bodied people taking hand-outs on hard-working people's tax dollars. I am willing to make the effort to gather the evidence if there is at least a chance that this person will be held responsible at some point. Please tell me what is typical after probation and restitution is ordered. Thank you.
Who is this person to you?

aggiemom74

just hi,

i,ve just been jumping around reading the threads waiting for an answer to my "house for sale in ga" question. and i have to say you guys are a riot.

you're either boston legal on a coffee break or law students but you definitely have a sense of humor. keep up the good work. but...mlane needs to pull in and get the bug off the windshield. it doesn't matter which order those two come...together it's not pretty.

fairisfair

i,ve just been jumping around reading the threads waiting for an answer to my "house for sale in ga" question. and i have to say you guys are a riot.

you're either boston legal on a coffee break or law students but you definitely have a sense of humor. keep up the good work. but...mlane needs to pull in and get the bug off the windshield. it doesn't matter which order those two come...together it's not pretty.

Well, we certainly think we are funny, some time the others, not so much.

Thank you on behalf of all for your appreciation.:D

kalebsdad

Lawyers I doubt that.

most of you don't sound like lawyers. This woman is asking for an answer to a ? and all of your responses seem to be trying to discourage her from reporting a crime. why don't you try and be a little more professional and stop berating someone for trying to report a crime. Lawyers you may be but professional you are not.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
most of you don't sound like lawyers. This woman is asking for an answer to a ? and all of your responses seem to be trying to discourage her from reporting a crime. why don't you try and be a little more professional and stop berating someone for trying to report a crime. Lawyers you may be but professional you are not.
Try reading the TOS. There are a few lawyers on here. But at least the seniors don't revive five year old threads and berate others on them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">