+ Reply to Thread
    nicemom is offline Junior Member

What are the penalties for welfare fraud?

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I know someone who is committing welfare fraud and believe they should be held responsible for it. I believe I could gather evidence of it with some effort. After a little internet research, it appears that people convicted of this type of fraud, even with high dollar amounts at stake, rarely see jail time. It appears typical to be sentenced to probation and ordered to pay restitution. What happens if the convicted person does not pay the restitution? I support welfare programs for those really in need, but I am tired of able-bodied people taking hand-outs on hard-working people's tax dollars. I am willing to make the effort to gather the evidence if there is at least a chance that this person will be held responsible at some point. Please tell me what is typical after probation and restitution is ordered. Thank you.
    panther10758 is offline Member
    You have a lot of free time dont you? Where it is awful that people abuse the Welfare system I dont know that its wise that you become obcessed with it and become a viglante! Most states have a fraud report hotline use it and drop it. I am certain you have your own personal issues to deal with rather than someone elses.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemom View Post
    What is the name of your state? Indiana

I know someone who is committing welfare fraud and believe they should be held responsible for it. I believe I could gather evidence of it with some effort. After a little internet research, it appears that people convicted of this type of fraud, even with high dollar amounts at stake, rarely see jail time. It appears typical to be sentenced to probation and ordered to pay restitution. What happens if the convicted person does not pay the restitution? I support welfare programs for those really in need, but I am tired of able-bodied people taking hand-outs on hard-working people's tax dollars. I am willing to make the effort to gather the evidence if there is at least a chance that this person will be held responsible at some point. Please tell me what is typical after probation and restitution is ordered. Thank you.
    Who is this person to you?
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baystategirl View Post
    Who is this person to you?
    I wanna guess, I wanna guess . . . . . .
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fairisfair View Post
    I wanna guess, I wanna guess . . . . . .
    Sshhhh...Not yet Dear....
    aggiemom74 is offline Junior Member

just hi,

i,ve just been jumping around reading the threads waiting for an answer to my "house for sale in ga" question. and i have to say you guys are a riot.

you're either boston legal on a coffee break or law students but you definitely have a sense of humor. keep up the good work. but...mlane needs to pull in and get the bug off the windshield. it doesn't matter which order those two come...together it's not pretty.
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiemom74 View Post
    i,ve just been jumping around reading the threads waiting for an answer to my "house for sale in ga" question. and i have to say you guys are a riot.

you're either boston legal on a coffee break or law students but you definitely have a sense of humor. keep up the good work. but...mlane needs to pull in and get the bug off the windshield. it doesn't matter which order those two come...together it's not pretty.

Well, we certainly think we are funny, some time the others, not so much.

Thank you on behalf of all for your appreciation.
    kalebsdad is offline Junior Member

Lawyers I doubt that.

most of you don't sound like lawyers. This woman is asking for an answer to a ? and all of your responses seem to be trying to discourage her from reporting a crime. why don't you try and be a little more professional and stop berating someone for trying to report a crime. Lawyers you may be but professional you are not.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalebsdad View Post
    most of you don't sound like lawyers. This woman is asking for an answer to a ? and all of your responses seem to be trying to discourage her from reporting a crime. why don't you try and be a little more professional and stop berating someone for trying to report a crime. Lawyers you may be but professional you are not.
    Try reading the TOS. There are a few lawyers on here. But at least the seniors don't revive five year old threads and berate others on them.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.