• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the process to get someone committed in Colorado?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guardian Marly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am the legal guardian of my disabled step-brother. He lives with a wonderful host home family who also care for another disabled live-in man. They both have cerebral palsy, autism, and profound mental retardation. They love each other, their host home family, and get along like brothers. He has lived with this family since 2001 and I do not wish to relocate him. He is very very happy and settled there.

This family also has 3 adult daughters, two of whom live one block away, each in their own home with their respective spouses and children. One of these daughters, who has been somewhat abusive since childhood I'm told, has gotten "out of control" according to my step-brother's host home family (her parents) and they wish to consider having her committed. She is verbally and physically abusive to her husband and her children. She slashed her own vehicle tires then called the police and had her husband arrested for it. He was released when her story fell apart and couldn't be upheld. She beat her seventeen year old son in the front yard, then called the police and had him arrested for beating her. There were witnesses, he was released. But the police have never arrested her. She was fired from a very good job, has two known ongoing relationships with men other than her husband, and is getting divorced. And on and on. Her parents, her children, and her soon-to-be ex-husband are all at the point where they are willing to testify against her if necessary to get her help and to be safe from her. Her children are afraid of her.

She is no longer allowed into the home of her parents where my step-brother lives, but they would like to go the extra step and get her committed or get her some type of court-ordered help so she stops ruining lives. They don't know how so I'm inquiring on their behalf, and on behalf of my step-brother.

I am extremely concerned for my step-brother and ward's safety should she come into the home even though she isn't allowed, but again, in every other way the home is perfect for him and he would be extremely unhappy if he had to move.

So how does this work? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">