• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rhian

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was at the grocery store the other day and while paying the cashier, I dropped some change. I sat my wallet down on the space where you write checks and picked up the change that I dropped. I finished checking out and walked out of the store not realizing that I hadn't picked my wallet back up. At 8:30 the next morning, after a frantic search of my apartment, I realized what I had done and contacted the store manager. The wallet had not been turned in, and because I had a large amount of cash in it, (600 dollars--my rent) I asked if they would check the security tape to make sure that I had indeed left it, and who took it. The manager called me back that evening, when he had time to review the tape. It shows the cashier picking up the wallet and pocketing it. The manager said he needed more time to review the tape and determine exactly what had happend. This was yesterday, so at 11 today I called the store again to find out if they had found out anything and was told that the manager was off and would be back in the morning but they were still reviewing the tape and tracking the kid through the store. I'm a little frustrated that this kid has not been confronted and been given the choice of turning the wallet over, and instead all this time is being wasted giving him more time to blow the money.

My questions are: Should I/When should I contact the police? Should I continue to let the store manager handle the situation? And since this was a company employee on company time, who is responsible: The kid, the store, or both? What can I do/should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">