• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what should i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kuleto

What is the name of your state? California

So here is the situation. I was at a club over the weekend and was dancing with this girl. While we were dancing, this other girl came from no where and started pounding her down. They were both on the ground by now and i pulled the attacker off. They then stopped fighting but the attacker's two friends pointed me out saying that i started hitting her too. Then the attacker came and gave me a nice knuckle to my lip. Then i tried to walk off and leave. But the attacker then told security that i was hitting her. So the security pulled me over and then called the cops. Later i was given a ticket saying i have to go to court being charged of battery. They also took pictures of my bloody lip and they told me most likely this case will be dismissed and that there won't be any jail time or anything serious. Is this really true? Because i've looked online saying that misdemeanors can still lead to jail time. Should i hire a lawyer or anything? Also the girl i was defending left the scene already. Any advice/comments will be helpful on what i should be expecting from my court date or the the whole situation itself.

kuleto

i always thought charges must be pressed by the victim to arrest in this case your fiancee

this post was not meant for this thread!

Last edited:

CdwJava

kuleto said:
i always thought charges must be pressed by the victim to arrest in this case your fiancee
If you were cited for PC 242, then a citizen's arrest was almost certainly necessary by someone. Unless the fight was still ongoing in the officer's presence.

- Carl

kuleto

sorry i'm not so clear on definitions but is pressing charges the same things as someone making a citizen's arrest?

S

seniorjudge

kuleto said:
sorry i'm not so clear on definitions but is pressing charges the same things as someone making a citizen's arrest?
No.

If I go to the cop shop and say, "Kuleto stole my wallet," that is pressing charges.

If I see you stealing my wallet and I pounce on you and carry you to the cop shop, that is a citizen's arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">