• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

exemployee1001

I worked retail and I LOVED my job. I was good at it. One day, a woman came in and left. She lived far away. She called my store and said she lost a note 4, she said if it was found to turn it in to the ATT store so she could have it sent to her. Later on a phone matching the description was turned into me. I was excited I found the phone, I concealed it so my boss wouldnt question me and took it to the back of the store to make sure the description was correct. Well I thought I did the right thing until another woman (older) came in saying she also lost a note 4 on the counter. Said she was just talking on it. But the phone she was describing did not match as closely as the other woman. I told her it hadnt been found. I left work that sunday. Att was closed. I went home and left the phone IN my car. The next morning I took it to att. I was scared that I may of been wrong so I told them I purchased the phone from facebook and it was stolen. However I never even tried to use the phone. Didnt touch it. Well later (2 weeks later) the older woman threatened me. Said an employee stole her phone and she wanted to press charges because it was me. I told my manager everything. She believed me but told me she would have to tell loss prevention about the woman threatening me. Before I got off, I was called back to the office. lp was on the phone. They asked me a million questions and really made it seem like I was lying. They even told me that I was on video, like I said. It looked worse on video I didnt deny that but I never intended to use the phone. (I have a brand new note 5) att even confirmed I was there before they officially opened to turn it in (of course they told them what I said). They said that she could not of been talking on a factory reset device. I said that I didnt know, it just was prompting to set up as a new phone in my possession. I also didnt notice a sim card. (The other woman described the phone she lost as she had just bought it) well my manager just kind of told me she would have to fire me for not following company policy and just giving the woman her phone. I kind of expected that. My question is, when I spoke to the police voluntarily,they said it wasn't theft but no charges had been filed. But I really dont want to be in trouble. Im a really good person and I try to do the right thing. I did make a mistake but I wasnt trying to be a bad person.

CdwJava

No one here can possibly know what WILL happen. You MIGHT be fired, you might be warned, or maybe nothing at all will happen to you. You also MIGHT be prosecuted for a crime, you may also not be.

I will say this: Your story stinks. It smacks of a weak attempt to cover up a theft.

The first evidence of guilt is that you CONCEALED the phone from your boss! Why?!?!? If it was lost in the store, and you found it, there would be no reason at all to NOT turn it in to whomever in the store receives found property that has been reported as missing. That way it becomes someone else's issue to deal with and sort out. By HIDING it, taking it out of the store with you, and then going in to AT&T later and lying about how you received the phone, you simply displayed consciousness of guilt. You may be stupid, you may have had a change of heart at the last moment, or you may have gotten jammed up when you discovered you could not legitimately convert the phone to your own use or sell it. I can't possibly know. But, this story reeks, and I suspect that your manager and the police know it reeks, too. If you are LUCKY, nothing will happen to you. If you are really unlucky you ill be fired and prosecuted. More than likely the most that will probably happen is that you will lose your job. But, that depends on facts and details we do not have.

exemployee1001

I already lost my job. They terminated my employment for not following company policy on lost items. I mean, yeah I guess I see it seems fishy. But I really didnt intend to steal the phone. I just got scared. I didnt want to loose my job. I dont want to be in trouble.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You GUESS you see it seems fishy?

The very minute you concealed finding the phone, you lost all credibility. No one was going to believe you had no intent to steal it after that.

File for unemployment, cross your fingers that you get it, and look for another job. That's your recourse at this point.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I already lost my job. They terminated my employment for not following company policy on lost items. I mean, yeah I guess I see it seems fishy. But I really didnt intend to steal the phone. I just got scared. I didnt want to loose my job. I dont want to be in trouble.
Seriously?

An honest employee would walk up to the manager and say, "Hey, is this the phone that customer was calling about?"

If this is a sample of you judgement, you probably weren't that great at your job.

LdiJ

You GUESS you see it seems fishy?

The very minute you concealed finding the phone, you lost all credibility. No one was going to believe you had no intent to steal it after that.

File for unemployment, cross your fingers that you get it, and look for another job. That's your recourse at this point.
Its sounds like his employer had enough doubt that they just fired him for not following company policy, rather than calling the police. I have to admit that his entire behavior was foolish in the extreme, therefore they might have had just enough doubt based on "how could anyone be THAT dumb?"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Or they might have decided not to bother since the phone eventually was found. In any case, I think we all agree that the poster had rocks in his head and is VERY lucky that no charges were filed.

exemployee1001

Update

Its been 2 weeks, ive been enjoying my new job. I still havent heard anything. What are the odds that I will ever hear about it again?

CdwJava

Criminally? Probably not likely. But, if they have proof of criminal malfeasance they probably have a year or more to make a case. But, if they did not seem interested before, they probably are not now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">