• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what will happen if i go to court for a petit larceny charge, with no lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JennL

What is the name of your state?
nevada

my court date is today (3/22/2004) at 1pm, i am facing a petit larceny charge. i need to know what will happen if i show up in court without legal representation? i have no prior record, and the crime was not intentional. i was in walmart with my hands full of items that i intended to purchase. my cell phone rang, so i set the items down and proceeded to dig out my cell phone. i guess a pair of bracelets (valued at $10.74) fell into my purse during my search for my phone. i didn't realize this had taken place, therefore i began to walk out of the store to get better reception. next hing i know sotre security hauls me into there private office and calls metro police. they did not ask me any questions, and i remained silent because i was unsure of what to do. the officer wrote me a citation for petit larceny and gave me a court date. i honestly have no clue what to do, i have to be in court today at 1pm. i'm not sure how to plead, what to say, what i can do, what my punishment will be, or if it is too late (if i need it) to seek legal representation. also, is there any way of asking for a later court date in order to give me more time to find a lawyer if i need one? any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. please respond asap!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">