• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a Writ of Replevin & How to use it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwatson12255

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

Rhode Island police who are trying to recover my vehicle that was traded-in via conversion by a person I let use the vehicle and subsequently sold to a new buyer have suggested that I execute a "Writ of Replevin" against the new owner of the vehicle. How do I proceed? Should I execute the Writ against the person who converted the vehicle, the dealer who sold the vehicle or the purchaser of the vehicle or all three?

FlyingRon

You should keep all the messages concerning your problem in the SAME thread so people understand what you are talking about. The replevin is issued by the court and served by law enforcement against the PERSON WHO HAS POSSESSION of the item in question. It does no good to serve it on someone who no longer has it.

dwatson12255

So who initiates the writ the police or I?

Thank you and sorry about the new thread I thought the old one was dead. The police told me to check into getting one so who initiates it? If I'm the one who must start this action where do I begin?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">