• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When internet people locate you

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wanna know

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Is this even illegal? No crime was actually commited--I think. :confused: But it worries me to say the least. :(

A while back I very naively stated on an internet forum that I lived across the street from a major military base, and then in another thread on cars I stated the kind of car my daughter and son-in-law who lived with me drove. With this info only I was located and followed by "several" members. What occured then was members loitering outside my house, I was followed to work, my picture taken by them in a car driving slowly by, and I also had my email hacked into by opening files sent to me by pm-- I was so stupid......:(:( Oh yeah, also, before all the physical stalking occured they very aggressively demanded that that the mods give them my IP address so I wouldn't go to their forum they had started. I reported all harassment to the site mods several times but never once got a response.

But was scares me the most is one actually applied for and got a position at my work for a short period, and on the last week of his employment, telling me in a cryptic sinister way that he was from the site. All the while taking photos of me--no doubt to share with the rest of the stalkers at the site. This happened at all three jobs I have had in the past five years. They always find me but there is no actual crime being commited.

Or has there been ???

KingFahad

If a crime has been committed...

Contact the police. Depending on the nature of the crimes -they will offer you the following- an independent third party report (their choice-you pay for that).
You will never see that report. Your computer will then be taken and checked for viruses (by whomever the police use). -Then returned. Depending on the sum of the above- law enforcement issues subpeonas to accts (for ipa activity).

If they find anything you will not be made aware, they forward it to the DA's office, then the DA will contact you.

Good Luck
I know its a horrible thing as I've had it done to me.

FlyingRon

Yep, this is the reason we tell people not to post identifying information of any sort. There are a lot of amateur sleuths out there and a few really smart psychopaths. It's particularly fun on this forum as given the increasing online access to police / court records, it's not too hard to find those who are involved in criminal cases given some fragments.

Here's the law for you by the way:
Internet Safety, Stalking Laws: Nevada

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">