• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when police question you can they record the session without your knowledg california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: when police question you can they record the session without your knowledg california

tntpower said:
What is the name of your state? california:cool:

My response:

Yes. Police are exempted from "recording" laws during their enforcement of their duties. It's called a "sting operation". I guess you don't watch the News.

IAAL

T

tntpower

recording without knowledge

Thanks! for the info. Yes I do watch tv but tv land is not always factual. Plus when I have been questioned before I was asked and the recorder was place in the center of the table and the detective gave the date, case#, his name & my full name and gave his partner name and stated that he was the witness to this proceedings. Then he read me my miranda rights. Well that was almost ten years ago, and when I got to the police station I was not taken to the "interigation room" like on tv, but to a room with three tables with various chairs and was told this was their lounging pad. He asked me if I wanted a coke, tea or coffee and sat down and thanked me for coming in on such short notice. Then he told me that my husband had mention I might not be able to get a sitter for our 2 yr old son, when they had met the day before. He asked me if I knew why I was there and I said yes, and he asked me to tell him what I knew and explain the events to him. There was no one there with us and he never read me my rights. he did tell me that I was a suspect in a burglary of my next door neighbors' that had happen four months ago. Halfway through our concersation his partner came in and sat for about 15 min. asked me a couple of questions and got up and said he had to leave and asked his partner to meet him there when he was finished. So I just wondered if they recorded it because he didn't take a lot of notes, but he never mentioned or asked me about recording anything. I know that the laws are constantly changing but the one thing that never does is your miranda rights must be read to you before you answer any questions. Sorry so much detail thanks again!!!:eek:

Son of Slam

They record you in questioning always. They record you in your jail cell sometimes. They tap and record your telephone calls to get evidence for an arrest warrant (as with Scott Peterson) if they want to.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You've got to read properly and accurately. That's undoubtedly part of your problem. By writing what you have, you've proved to me that what you've written is your fictional "interpretation", and not what actually happened. You have trouble relating the actual facts.

I didn't say, "Watch T.V." as in watching "cop shows". I said, "watch the News" - - which is different.

Perhaps you missed the "John Z. DeLorean" sting operation where he was video recorded, with sound, taking a bribe, and many other such similar "News" accounts.

IAAL

stephenk

how do you know if you were tape recorded? Were you arrested after the conversation with the police?

It looks like you were not under detention and you could have left at any time, therefore Miranda rights were not necessary.

You would think that with your criminal arrest history you would know never to speak to the police without an attorney.

So, did you confess to the burglary?

T

tntpower

answers to stephenks questions

I don't know if our conversation was recorded or not, I hope that it was for the fact that it would show that I was being questioned as the only suspect without being advised of my miranda rights. I was not arrested at that point but he told me that if I had not come in on my own free will he would have had me picked up, and brought in for questioning. He wanted me to confess to the burglary and I told him that I was only guilty of being stupid enough to have pick up the camara case assuming that my neighbors were taking it with them out of town and either accidently dropped it or it was packed and felled out, it was right by where they park their car, half on concrete and the flower bed. I took it home with me cause it was raining and if it wasn't already ruined, it would be. I had no clue they had been robbed
or I wouldn't have touch it. So when they got home I gave it to them and found out that someone had either spent the night in their house or just took weird things food, blanket,soap. Things that maybe a homeless person might need, oh and a watch and the camara. anyways, I told the cop exactly how I found the camara and he basically said I was a liar. He then tried to scare me and said that he thought I was going to be truthful so he was going to let me go and if the DA picked up the charges then he would call me and let me turn myself in, but since I was playing games he was gonna take me in then. I told him go ahead then cause I'm not gonna confess to something that I didn't do, They have no fingerprints which I wish they did so they would see that it wasn't me. He ended up letting me go and my husband called him when a month had passed & he said he hadn't heard anything. Then on 8/14/03 they came to my house and had a warrant & took me in. My criminal history was an embezzlement charge and it was cut and dried. I am out on bail but when are they gonna advise me of my miranda rights? I am meeting tomorrow with an attorney who I've known for years she is real close with my parents. I just thought maybe I could get some questions answered now. Thanks! :confused:

T

tntpower

reply to IAM ALWAYS LIABLE

Wow! I thought that this site was offering free legal advice to those who wanted information regarding the legal system. I must have missed the part that stated that if you read the advise wrong and in turn your response was based on the advice you thought you had read, that you automatically were stupid and were not only given free advise but were informed by a legal expert what your problems were and were told that you weren't reading the right way. Not only were you given the answer to your question but you also got to meet God--oh but wait God wouldn't berate you, or treat you like a child-----Well I guess I mistakely read the bible wrong where it said that no one here on earth was perfect because you seem to think that you are that good that you could after one response judge me and tell me what part of my problem is. Then you even have the nerve to basically call me a liar or try to give me some dime store psychology and I'm supposed to be thankful for your expert advice? I don't need to be treated like a child or made to feel stupid because I did what anyone who is human does, I made a mistake. I thought that you had said watch tv so I replied to that, and thank you very much for clearing that up for me all this time I thoght hollywood & the news were the same. Gee! give me a break just cause I'm not real knowledgeable where the law is concerned doesn't mean that I need your words of well I was gonna say wisdom but even I who has trouble relating the actual facts know that someone who feels the need to insult and belittle someone no, not someone a stranger who just wanted a question in your field of expertise answered must really need the power rush to act so rudely. I am sorry that I read the word wrong but with each mistake I make I try to learn from, so from now on I'll print out each response so that when I'm replying I don't make the same mistake again. iI guess I should be thankful that your not scolding me on my spelling. I would say if you ever need my expertise in accounting or taxes - I'll return the favor repay your kindness for the advice but I don't need to point out and tell someone else what their shortcomings are, I have a hard enough time living my own live I don't want to pretend that I'm perfect and am allknowing or arrogant enough to think that I could make judgements about people who are strangers.. Yes I can be pretty naive in some areas which doesn't mean I'm stupid or not in touch with reality it just means that I'm not interested in that area. Actually I'm a wiz with numbers and love to make things balance, if I didn't enjoy it I would find something that I did enjoy. I would say you need to work on your people skills if that's how you treat clients, why pay someone to belittle you or make you feel small, their are enough people out there than will do that for free. Well thanks for the advice but if I would have known the hidden costs I would've passed. :)

Son of Slam

Re: Re: when police question you can they record the session without your knowledg california

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
It's called a "sting operation". I guess you don't watch the News.IAAL

That one stung me too. I thought of nothing but TV.

T

tntpower

reply to I am always liable

No you don't have to read my response to your expert advice. Why would I expect you to behave as an adult and at least have enough maturity to give the same respect that was shown to you when I read your words of wisdom. No I am smart enough to at least know that those who are good at dishing it out, can't take someone dishing it back. So if no one ever reads my reponses to you its ok cause it made me feel better!:eek:

T

tntpower

response to son of slam

Hey, thanks for the honesty! It's good to know that someone else has the same "problem" that I do, is it as hard for you (as it is for me) to stay in the present and not escape to tv land? Well I hope that you don't get your free advice in the form of a lecture listing all your faults. Well thats what happens when you cosigned with me. Sorry if she shoots her poison your way!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">