• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I go from here

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorirob

What is the name of your state? Missouri.

I bought a used travel trailer from an individual. He had the kitchen apart to fix a leak. I gave him a check to hold until he could find the title (i know it's around here somewhere) and all the parts as agreed. I took possession of the trailer in the interim.

He went ahead and deposited the check even though the bank told him it wouldn't clear.

He shows up on my property trying to be intimidating about my "bad" check. I assumed he must have found the title and missing parts. Told him I would go get the money.

When he came back to get his money I didn't see any parts, but was willing to be flexible in that area (I'm too easy). I asked him for the title while handing him the money and he said he hadn't found it yet. I pulled the money back and told him that I needed a bill of sale at least before I could give him the money.

He declined to give me a bill of sale. I told him I had to have something before I could pay him. He left after some cursing and threatening. I felt bad but didn't figger it was my fault really.

I don't put up with that kind of crap anymore, so I called the sheriff's office and had a deputy go by his house and tell him that he was no longer welcome at my house and to advise him that when he found the title and other parts to have someone else bring them by or we could do a swap with an officer on civil standby.

Been about 4-5 months since now, and golly gee, I get an invite friday to come to the prosecuting attorney's office within ten days to pick up the check or they will file felony charges against me.

No, I didn't write title attached or anything in the memo as I should have, but I can prove it was for the trailer. And yes, had I known how the situation was going to evolve, I would have stopped paymnet on the check, but I didn't.

Where should a person start with this mess?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">