• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whitness rights, in Ca, Crime Occured In Az

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irishwill502

I witnesses a coworker assault someone in Az back in May 2010. Their were other witnesses as well. The coworker is now got a trial set for the first week of February. The da has contacted me and at first talked to me on the phone and heard me tell him what happened. He then told me that his county probably ain't fly me out to Az for the trial. He then calls me back and tells me he can fly me from California where I live to Az for the trial. I then explained to him that I take care of my disabled mom that now lives with me, and I also have 2 dogs I take care of. Therefore I can't just get up and leave. I also have no luck in finding anyone to help me look after my mom and my dogs for a day or two. I have not received a subpoena yet, and the da tells me if I don't come to court that the defendant is just going to try and blame me for his actions. The da did however tell me earlier before he found out he could fly me out that he had enough evidence, and whitnesses with out me present. What do I do? What are my options here?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Tex78704

You don't have to do anything until you hear from the DA.

The DA is just trying to build the best case he can to convict the guy, and your testimony would be helpful. He is suggesting that without your testimony, this guy might have a better chance of getting away with what he did.

Beyond that the DA knows that he cannot force you to come to AZ from CA, and is offering to pay your travel expenses. But the DA can only do so much, and if you make it too difficult for him to bring you in as a witness, he will probably just do the best he can without you.

So while it may be difficult for you, consider doing your best to accept the DA's offer of travel and do the right thing by testifying against this guy.

irishwill502

Yea, however my mom is disabled, and I take care of her, I can't just leave her alone, and so far no other family members that are out of state can help me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">