• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who handles online fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaCA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've got a good one.

On Craigs List I found this incredible rental, I wrote with my interest, they wrote back, etc.

They say they are in Africa and the rent on this lovely home is so cheap because they really just need someone to look after it/maintain it. They keep saying pay $900 deposit and next day they will Fed Ex the keys. Supplied out of country phone numbers to call to talk (I haven't...didn't get that far so don't know if they are bogus).

I guess they assume someone is willing to pay a deposit for a rent they can't even see the INSIDE of...I go by the house and a lady answers...said other women have been poking around too...I explained to her why...she said they had also mentioned an owner claiming to be in Africa (some big bid on a petroleum site).

I thought the whole thing a bit of a gas...she said the police and CraigsList had already been called and she was suprised CL had allowed another posting.

Anyway, I know I need to go by the police to show them this supposed address and emails...and let CL know.

To cut to the chase...I know online fraud is becoming more widely addressed...does anyone know of another agency I could be reporting this too? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The United States Secret Service has established a task force to deal with advance fee fraud-related crimes, but unless you can provide unique information for their database I doubt anyone will do more than--maybe--make a brief report for a file somewhere.

I'm just astonished at how many people are still falling for this.

swalsh411

The problem with reporting (or trying to report) criminals like this is that literally nothing they say can be relied upon.

In real life if you see a tan sedan driving away after robbing a 7-11 you can at least say with certainty a description of the vehicle, the time, and the location. With this, everything they told you (name, age, location, etc) could be,and probably is, a lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">