• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who presses charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

St0rmmm

What is the name of your state? Ca.

A few months ago I made the worst mistake. I cashed a large check for someone who turned out to have stolen his brothers identity and had me cash his brothers check. I have been forced to pay the bank back the total amount of the check. The suspect in this case is currently in jail for a non related matter. I went to the police and picked him out of a picture lineup and signed a statement. On Aug. 23rd I looked the case up online and saw he was finally being charged with forgery. Today I checked online and he is being charged with perjury. Is my "case" involved? How can I be awarded restitution on perjury? What should I do? Who should I talk to? Should I have legal help in persuing this so I might have the possibility of restitution?

stephenk

Call the DA office and ask to speak to the attorney handling that particular case - give them the name of the defendant and/or the case number. Tell the prosecutor how you are connected to the case and ask how you can seek reimbursement. There may be a crime victim restitution fund that you can apply to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">