• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

:( Who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dodat

In Louisiana, a person who sells or gives alcohol to a person under the age of 21 and something happens to the person, {say an accident), the person who gave or sold the alcohol to the person can be held responsible for the accident....etc..... Well, my question is this: My son is 19 years old and too young to purchase alcohol. He an two of his friends purchased alcohol at a resturant in town and they drank a good bit, the left and got into a fight with a man...The three underage drinkers were charged with simple battery and aggravated battery and because they were drinking and drunk, they did not use good judgement which lead them into a fight....Can the resturant that served them the alcohol be liable for the trouble that they got into for serving them this liquor? I am tired of stores, pubs, resturants, etc. selling alcohol to underage drinkers...Do you know of anyone who took such places to court for selling alcohol to an underage drinker????????? I know nobody twisted there arm to drink and they asked for the liquor, but I think it is the responsibily of the establishment to bar them from purchases of alcohol.....Can you let me know what can be done about this? Thanks for the imput.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Yup. Fake IDS, all that stuff -- problems, problems, problems.

The restaurant can indeed become liable to an extent. I don't think the boys can be indemnified by the restaurant (i.e. restaurant pays all damages), but certainly they are potentially liable for a percentage.

This is up to you to pursue. You need to bring suit against this restaurant and any/all specific individuals so involved in giving these underage kids alcohol, sufficient amounts to get them drunk.

Speak with an attorney in your state to make sure all applicable laws are researched. I tried, but I kept getting an error message.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">