• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's liable here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momof3kiddos

What is the name of your state? TX

Hi everyone. Hope someone can give me some good, reliable info here. Okay, my son, 13, is in athletics at school. For the first two weeks of school he had not even been assigned a gym locker. Therefore, the gym bag he took to school, which contained his father's running shoes, 2 pairs of Nike shorts and 2 shirts for working out, had to be kept in the coaches' office. He was told this by a coach. When he was finally assigned a locker, it was a tiny, little P.E. locker that his bag would not fit in to. Therefore, he still had to keep his bag in the coaches' office.

Now the bag along with all of its contents is missing from the coaches' office. Isn't the school liable here for the 'stuff' since he was not accomodated with a locker at the beginning of the year or one that was large enough for his things?

Thank you in advance!

HomeGuru

momof3kiddos said:
What is the name of your state? TX

Hi everyone. Hope someone can give me some good, reliable info here. Okay, my son, 13, is in athletics at school. For the first two weeks of school he had not even been assigned a gym locker. Therefore, the gym bag he took to school, which contained his father's running shoes, 2 pairs of Nike shorts and 2 shirts for working out, had to be kept in the coaches' office. He was told this by a coach. When he was finally assigned a locker, it was a tiny, little P.E. locker that his bag would not fit in to. Therefore, he still had to keep his bag in the coaches' office.

Now the bag along with all of its contents is missing from the coaches' office. Isn't the school liable here for the 'stuff' since he was not accomodated with a locker at the beginning of the year or one that was large enough for his things?

Thank you in advance!
**A: explain how the locker was so small that it could not fit a pair of shoes, 2 shorts and 2 shirts. And do you consider a missing bag a crime?

Last edited:
M

momof3kiddos

Oops, I meant to put this in Education, but I guess if someone here has an answer that would be great. :)

M

momof3kiddos

Thanks for replying Homeguru...

His bag is an athletic bag, which is pretty good size. The boys keep these at school in order to bring home dirty clothes, etc. When my son took me in to the locker room to see his locker for myself, it was apparent that his bag would not fit in it. I'd guess that it's approximately a 1' x 1' locker. So, he just kept his bag in the coaches' office, which should be kept locked up but I guess it's not. If there's anything else you need to know I'll try to answer. Thanks!

Edit: Yes, I believe it is a crime because it's a theft, but I did mean to put this in the Education section of this forum. However, I guess that even if it happened at school, it's still a crime, right?

Last edited:
M

momof3kiddos

Yes, my son filed a report with the campus police officer but they're not too concerned about it since he's not the star quarterback of the football team. It seems at this school only the football players get all of the attention and concern.

The other boys have huge football lockers to put all of their stuff in. The only people who have the tiny P.E. lockers are the kids who go to P.E. during the day and really don't need much by way of storage, if anything. They don't shower after P.E. or anything like that. My son is in athletics which is completely different from P.E. They have to change out of the clothes they wear to school and must change into running shoes, etc. They need much larger lockers, however my son was assigned a tiny P.E. locker that would barely hold my purse.

I know his bag is gone and we'll never see it again. It just seems the school should be liable since a coach told my son to keep his bag in the coaches' office and now it's been stolen. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">