• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife's uncle harrassed by neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kargg

What is the name of your state? Illinois

First, I'm not sure this fits in this category. If not, I'm sorry.

Next, my wife's uncle, who is possibly mentally disabled (not certain), is being hounded by his neighbors. He gets calls from them who keep saying that they'll take his property and that he won't get any social security checks and just won't leave him alone.
The police are of little help. They've been to his neighbors quite a few times, but to no avail. Even my mother-in-law's lawyer has been in contact with them--but it seems to have done no good. (I have no idea what the lawyer did.)

We've gotten him a caller-ID phone so that he can screen his calls, but they just yell at him through his windows and have even taken one of the keys that he kept outside in case he got locked out. (Not a good idea to keep the key outside, I know) and have gone into his house while he was out. (Yes, when we get a chance, we will change his locks.)
The police have tried to get the key back, but the neighbors will not let the police search for the key, saying they just "found it".

It's getting way out of hand and needs to stop--but I have no idea what to do.

If you have any ideas, please respond. We are getting pretty desperate.
Thanks.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">