• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will he have grounds to press phone harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

femmefatale3001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

Yesterday I found my "boyfriend' in bed with another girl. Of course I'm pissed. I sent him several text messages stating that I needed to talk to him. He finally sent me a message saying "lose my phone number, forget where I live and never call me again." So, I called and he said don't call me and hung up. So I didn't contact him again. After I sobered up the next morning, I sent him a text telling him how horrible of a person he was using many choice words and told him to never call me again. So, later that afternoon he texted me to never call or text him again or he would press charges. I replied "likewise." He's a broke ass, so I really don't seem him pressing charges and I have no intent of ever talking to him again, but I did feel the need to express myself in the morning text. Would a judge really charge me with harrassment? If so, what do I need to do?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

Yesterday I found my "boyfriend' in bed with another girl. Of course I'm pissed. I sent him several text messages stating that I needed to talk to him. He finally sent me a message saying "lose my phone number, forget where I live and never call me again." So, I called and he said don't call me and hung up. So I didn't contact him again. After I sobered up the next morning, I sent him a text telling him how horrible of a person he was using many choice words and told him to never call me again. So, later that afternoon he texted me to never call or text him again or he would press charges. I replied "likewise." He's a broke ass, so I really don't seem him pressing charges and I have no intent of ever talking to him again, but I did feel the need to express myself in the morning text. Would a judge really charge me with harrassment? If so, what do I need to do?

He can certainly file a complaint. Just do yourself a favor and leave him alone. The last thing you want to do is ask for trouble

cyjeff

He would need to call the police.

Cost, zero.

You would need to get an attorney.

Cost, considerably more than zero.

Really... sending a pithy text just to say "don't call me anymore" is childish... and a desperate attempt to get the last word.

You caught your boyfriend in bed with someone else. You both don't want to be together anymore.

Move on.

CourtClerk

He's a broke ass, but had you not found him in bed with some other woman, you'd still be with that broke ass... so who are you trying to fool? If you contact him again, he should file for a restraining order against you. There was absolutely no reason for you to contact him the next morning. None at all. However at this point, no, a judge wouldn't convict you of harassment. This is a case of two very immature individuals having a squabble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">