• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I go to jail????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zereksmom

Hi. I live in Florida and here's what happend. I was riding in a car with a person who had a suspended license. The cops went to pull us over and we went behind a building and switched seats, the cop saw it all. So the cop gave him a ticket for violating his suspension and he gave me one for obstructing justice. I go to court on Jan 29, 2002. I have been arrested once when I was 18, I'm 23 now, for shop liffting and got community service hours and that's all over with. I'm sssoooo scared. Is this a really bad crime, what is gunna happen in court, will I be asked to enter a plea, should I get a lawyer or is it no big deal? Any help would be great because I have no idea what to expect and I'm really worried. Please reply or email me at [email protected] Bye

JETX

I assume you were charged with 'Obstruction by disguised person' as follows:
"843.03 Obstruction by disguised person.
--Whoever in any manner disguises himself or herself with intent to obstruct the due execution of the law, or with the intent to intimidate, hinder, or interrupt any officer, beverage enforcement agent, or other person in the legal performance of his or her duty or the exercise of his or her rights under the constitution or laws of this state, whether such intent is effected or not, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."
Source: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0843/SEC03.HTM&Title=->2001->Ch0843->Section%2003

s. 775.082(4) says:
"4) A person who has been convicted of a designated misdemeanor may be sentenced as follows:
(a) For a misdemeanor of the first degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 1 year;
(b) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days."

s 775.083 details fines where it says the fine shall not exceed:
"(d) $1,000, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the first degree."

These are the maximums. The court can grant you anything from a slap on the wrist to these maximums.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">