• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Willful illegal possesion of property ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jericho5960

Wisconsin.

I have an acquaintance who inadvertently came into possession of my prescription sunglasses, which cost $1,400. The glasses have a mild correction for astigmatism in one eye only, and could be worn by someone without the need for the correction if they chose to. This acquaintance admitted to having them in an email and was initially willing to return them. When we met again the following week he claimed to have lost them. Given his evasiveness I suspected he had simply decided to keep them when his wife, who did recognize them when she saw them in his possession, informed him of their value.

I took off from my job earlier this week and observed him from a distance as he walked in to his place of employment. Through a 20x pair of binoculars I could clearly see him and recognized my prescription sunglasses, which he was wearing.

This person does have a temper, so I don’t want to confront him about this directly without someone with authority being present. Given his decision to simply keep an expensive item which he knew belonged to me, I would like to press charges if possible. What term would I use to describe this to a police officer, and would there be any charges I could bring?

Thank you for your assistance.

mycarlb

If you still have the email... file a small claims suit against him... If you deleted it, try and get him to admit he "had" them in another email... If he admits he had possession of them then you could win... him claiming he "lost" them isn't gonna cut it in small claims...

However, if he says to you in the email that he "found" them, then he's not obligated to save them for you and could have tossed them out or "lost" them. Also, since you have seen him wearing them, can you snap a picture of him with them on?

How did he get a hold of them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">