• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wire Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

There is a library that was given free internt. The city manager has taken the physical cable and plugged it into a router so as to gain 4 additional physical lines so as to receive free internet for the city, the fire department and the police department.

I should have clarified that the company (Mediacom) supplies free internet to Publiic Libraries. Therefore, this is not a service that the city is paying for. This is a free service that Mediacom offers to Public libraries only. The city just decided to take this free service (The physical Cable) which was offered to the library only and exploit it to gain free wired internet for the city, fire department and police department offices. As a further note, the Library and the other offices are all located in the same building, if this makes any difference.

My question is, is this federal wire fraud?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

There is a library that was given free internt. The city manager has taken the physical cable and plugged it into a router so as to gain 4 additional physical lines so as to receive free internet for the city, the fire department and the police department.

I should have clarified that the company (Mediacom) supplies free internet to Publiic Libraries. Therefore, this is not a service that the city is paying for. This is a free service that Mediacom offers to Public libraries only. The city just decided to take this free service (The physical Cable) which was offered to the library only and exploit it to gain free wired internet for the city, fire department and police department offices. As a further note, the Library and the other offices are all located in the same building, if this makes any difference.

My question is, is this federal wire fraud?
No, that is not what wire fraud is. Wire fraud is stealing money electronically. However it is generally a crime to steal internet service.

davew128

No, that is not what wire fraud is. Wire fraud is stealing money electronically. However it is generally a crime to steal internet service.
And this isn't stealing it either.....it's no different than having a WIFI router in an apartment and sharing the login info with the surrounding apartments so they can use it. It may or may not violate the TOS with the internet provider but its not a crime.

FlyingRon

And this isn't stealing it either.....it's no different than having a WIFI router in an apartment and sharing the login info with the surrounding apartments so they can use it. It may or may not violate the TOS with the internet provider but its not a crime.
I disagree with you even if it had been wifi. However this guy was plugging things physically in the router. It's a kin to running an extension cord and plugging it into your neighbors house and using his electricity. It's theft.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree with you even if it had been wifi. However this guy was plugging things physically in the router. It's a kin to running an extension cord and plugging it into your neighbors house and using his electricity. It's theft.
Not if they let you...

LdiJ

Not if they let you...
However, the internet provider who is giving free internet to the library isn't "letting" this happen. Whoever runs the public library, who is beholden to the City Manager for their job is allowing this to happen...probably with great reluctance. There is no way that this is on the up and up or even legal.

Last edited:

Zigner

However, the internet provider who is giving free internet to the library isn't "letting" this happen.
Right - a possible violation of the ToS - but not a violation of the law. Not a crime.

FlyingRon

Right - a possible violation of the ToS - but not a violation of the law. Not a crime.
You keep saying that, but I disagree. Another analogy (which has been successfully prosecuted as a crime) is people stealing cable TV. If you're not paying for the service and you take it, it is THEFT not a TOS violation.

LeeHarveyBlotto

You keep saying that, but I disagree. Another analogy (which has been successfully prosecuted as a crime) is people stealing cable TV. If you're not paying for the service and you take it, it is THEFT not a TOS violation.
Whether it is a crime or not is more fact dependent than just "you are receiving service and not paying for it".

Zigner

Again, you are wrong. The library is sharing their internet connection. They are willingly giving it to the other department(s). Crime? No. Violation of ToS? Maybe.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Again, you are wrong. The library is sharing their internet connection. They are willingly giving it to the other department(s). Crime? No. Violation of ToS? Maybe.
You are assuming the library knows that the city manager did this.

davew128

If you run an HDMI cable from your neighbor's cable box to your tv, you're not stealing the service.

LdiJ

If you run an HDMI cable from your neighbor's cable box to your tv, you're not stealing the service.
Then the laws must vary by state, because people have been arrested for theft of services in my area for doing just that sort of thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">