• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrawing statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashg1289

ct

Could you still get in trouble for giving a statement while intoxicated, and unknowingly giving false events? When giving my statement the officer taking it, left out a lot of information and even added some things that weren't said.
It's a very long story and I don't like judgmental people, so if someone could just answer this question, or how to go about it, that would be greatly appreciated.

CdwJava

ct

Could you still get in trouble for giving a statement while intoxicated, and unknowingly giving false events? When giving my statement the officer taking it, left out a lot of information and even added some things that weren't said.
It's a very long story and I don't like judgmental people, so if someone could just answer this question, or how to go about it, that would be greatly appreciated.
Being wrong is not a crime. Intentionally providing false information to the police can be. Even if inebriated, you may not be given too much leeway for providing false information if it can be seen as an intentional act.

About all one can do is add to - or supplement - their previous statement. You cannot really withdraw it. Once you said it, it's out there.

If you are considering amending a statement, and you are a suspect (or a victim and your statement got someone in trouble), you might want to consider consulting legal counsel before you do what may essentially be an admission of guilt.

ashg1289

well, that's the thing. I didn't intentionally do anything to get anyone in trouble. The police officer constantly told me what i did was self defense, which it wasn't, i attacked my boyfriend. My boyfriend never hit me, he restrained me from hitting him seeing as he was driving. I know really dumb, (already sought out help for alcohol) But after everything i said i did to him the officer verbally told me it was in self defense, and only wrote down one instance where i hit him in the head, and sure enough after writing that it said in self defense. I fractured my nose trying to head butt him, so that's where the suspicions rose to the police. even though i told them how that happened. It's really something that's blown out of proportion and everyone just says you have battered women syndrome. Which i don't. I would not stay with someone who tried to hurt me in any way. I even told the officer on several occasions that i was intoxicated, and she told me i was fine. I even fell asleep in the hospital bed about 4 times giving the statement. I just really don't know how to go about this. If they want to accuse me of knowingly giving them false information so be it, I'm not the type to let someone get in trouble for something they didn't do.

CdwJava

well, that's the thing. I didn't intentionally do anything to get anyone in trouble. The police officer constantly told me what i did was self defense, which it wasn't, i attacked my boyfriend. My boyfriend never hit me, he restrained me from hitting him seeing as he was driving. I know really dumb, (already sought out help for alcohol) But after everything i said i did to him the officer verbally told me it was in self defense, and only wrote down one instance where i hit him in the head, and sure enough after writing that it said in self defense. I fractured my nose trying to head butt him, so that's where the suspicions rose to the police. even though i told them how that happened. It's really something that's blown out of proportion and everyone just says you have battered women syndrome. Which i don't. I would not stay with someone who tried to hurt me in any way. I even told the officer on several occasions that i was intoxicated, and she told me i was fine. I even fell asleep in the hospital bed about 4 times giving the statement. I just really don't know how to go about this. If they want to accuse me of knowingly giving them false information so be it, I'm not the type to let someone get in trouble for something they didn't do.
You may want to consult an attorney before you go in and essentially confess to a crime.

Since more than 3/4 of DV victims recant or change their statements within a couple of days, the police and the prosecutor are not likely to be too easy to believe your sudden change of heart - true or not.

ashg1289

well it has been over a month.. doubt that makes a difference.. and i'm scheduled to talk to the victims advocate tomorrow.. and i don't have money for an attorney, so would a public defender work? like i said this is the first time something like this has happened, and never even knew there was such thing as a false report until today. I really need someone who can give me like step by step information, because i'm totally lost in all this.

CdwJava

and i don't have money for an attorney, so would a public defender work?
Unless you are accused of a crime, you will not be eligible to speak with one. Perhaps there is a legal aid society or Bar association in your area that might be able to help. Some attorneys offer free consultations as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">