• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witness being held in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aquadolphin1968

What is the name of your state?Colorado
I have a friend who is being held in jail on a no bond just to make sure that he will testify for the prosecution. Isn't that violating his rights. Who would I contact to get this no bond off of him?

CdwJava

You could contact an attorney who can then speak to him and ask if he wants to hire him.

My guess is that a judge issued the warrant to hold him, so there may not be much to do at this point.

Did he fail to show up when previously subpoeaned? If he failed to show in court, then this makes sense. Otherwise there is something more to the story that is not being related. The court does not usually order witnesses held in custody.

- Carl

Curt581

CdwJava said:
You could contact an attorney who can then speak to him and ask if he wants to hire him.

My guess is that a judge issued the warrant to hold him, so there may not be much to do at this point.

Did he fail to show up when previously subpoeaned? If he failed to show in court, then this makes sense. Otherwise there is something more to the story that is not being related. The court does not usually order witnesses held in custody.

- Carl
I agree... there's got to be more to this.

Judges can issue Body Attachments on defaulting witnesses, but they aren't very common in criminal cases.

CdwJava

aquadolphin1968 said:
He has never been subpeonad at all in this case. The D.A was having a hard time getting any of the witness to testify.
Very unusual ... I suppose that if a judge bought in to it that there must have been some good cause to do so.

If he wants, your friend can hire an attorney to seek his release. On the other hand, when he testifies, he'll be out ... hopefully he testifies real soon.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">