• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This woman is ruining our LIFE!! Help, please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

booboos

I really need some advice bad.... Please bear w/ the long story, to try to get an understanding of the situation.

To start out, this is a "husband cheated on wife" dilemma, but really goes into something more. We'll just pretend it's me and my husband for argument's sake. I'll try to keep the background details as short as possible. Anyway, my husband found an "internet lover" last year and decided to bring her to America and keep her in an apartment that he co-signed for her and also hire her as an employee working for him (on a temp visa which is now expired). They had been having a relationship for several months, until one day when this lady called me out of the blue and told me about the whole affair. Apparently my husband had been telling her that he'd dump me, and buy her all sorts of stuff...and I guess she got tired of waiting. Anyway, it turns out that one of my husband's employee (let's call him John) was in cahoots w/ this woman to try to takeover his business.

My husband and I went to the woman's apartment to confront her about the conspiracy and take back all the things that my husband bought for the apartment. We wanted to cancel the lease as well, but since my husband was just the co-signer, the apartment wouldn't let him do it. Well, when we went to confront her she wouldn't open the door so my husband kicked it in (bad idea, I know). And yes, there was a lot of yelling and finger-pointing, but at no point was it physical until all of a sudden this woman goes psycho and starts screaming and running into the walls and punching herself and pulling her hair....really, it was a scene out of Fight Club, literally. I guess the neighbors called the police because of her screaming, and before they arrive, John (her partner in crime) comes over. Anyway, John tells the police he witnessed the whole thing and that my husband and I beat this woman (and really, she didn't even do any damage to herself except for that she was hysterical)!! It didn't look too good for us either, because the door was kicked in. So my husband and I spend the night in jail for assault and battery, and we call our attorney right away. He got us out and the charges dropped, but a week later we get served papers and the woman is suing us for abuse, emotional stress, and crap like that. She's also accusing him of rape now!!

We discovered that this woman and John got together to try to steal money from my husband and ruin the business so he could take it over. John found this woman on the internet and offered her money to help him do this. My husband was "con"ned, and we've already spent thousands of dollars on his stupidity.

Our attorney has all the e-mail documentation and everything that proves this was a mutual relationship. And actually she was the agressor w/ requests of marriage and to bring her to America, and that she'd love a new computer, jewelry, etc. She doesn't know English, and at her first court appearance she fainted, which was soooo obviously phony. Her translator happened to be a police officer friend of John's!!

Anyway, so far she has failed to appear for depositions, and she hasn't paid the rent and now no one knows where she is...not even her lawyer. We just got a notice from a collection agency about the apartment to pay for rent that she did not pay.

This last one is just the last straw. She called the local news station and told them that she was raped and wants to make it public that this known business man is a criminal. Next thing you know there's a news camera at the office wanting to talk to my husband. I'm about to lose my mind, and don't know what to do about the whole thing. I have forgiven my husband, but this woman will not leave us alone and every other week there's a new surprise. She is really out to ruin us and our lives, and sometimes I don't think our attorney is helping us do anything about it.

These are some things I've been thinking about and was wondering if anyone out there can shed any light...
1. Can't I call the INS on her since her visa is expired? Or is there an anonymous way I can contact the INS to notify them of illegal aliens?
2. If I can locate her (or her attorney can locate her whereabouts), doesn't she have to pay the collection agency for her rent back-pay. We're just willing to go ahead and pay this anyway so as to not affect our credit. And can't we take back everything that my husband bought her? She was never told that it was a "gift".
3. Can I counter-sue her for slander/libel? I can not even show my face in the community because she has run her mouth with lies all over town about me, calling me names and saying that my husband was running a corrupt business. It has totally ruined our reputation and now everyone is asking about it, and I can't bring myself to try to explain everything a gazillion times.
4. What about the local news...can she really accuse us like that and have it be on the air for the whole world to know? The case she has against us will be over in a few months, and it looks like it's going to be dismissed because there's no evidence. I think I will just "crumble" if anything is aired on the news. They couldn't just air that, could they?
5. Our attorney says we need to wait until the current case against us is resolved before we try to pursue anything else...putting it in terms of "don't wake a sleeping dog". Well, I've had it, and there's just got to be some way of stopping her w/ accusations, lies... ??
6. I want to retaliate, and what can we do to defend ourselves and our reputation? What would you do?

Everything just seems to be against us, and it's our word against hers...but why does it seem like she has the upper hand in this?

-Verge of a nervous breakdown

Like I said....I need advice bad!

M

Mikedani

OH MY GOD...
Advice, wow...here it is,
Write a screen play about this whole incident, make millions on your Lifetime movie of the week, move to another town and enjoy your new found wealth.

This is way out of my league by here's my two cents.
Dump your Husband.
Call INS, I like that idea, get the psyco deported.
A Restraining Order may help.
File stalking charges.
Keep a journal of all activity.
Video every encounter.
Keep witnesses around.
File any counter suits, Criminal or Civil charges you can against her or the ex business partner.

H

Humble Warrior

Yes,Yes,Yes,No,No,and call Double-Day....you have one hell of a book deal coming.

B

booboos

I would definitely like to counter-sue this woman for defamation and emotional/physical stress. Are cases of defamation usually won? I have witnesses that will testify to her threats, etc., but how do I prove that my reputation was tarnished? As for stress, I have all my medical bills/records that I've accrued since the whole mess.

What is it called when one of your employees tries to go behind your back and scheme to take over your business? Isn't there a law against that?

I've just discovered that this woman is staying at her lawyer's house!!! And she has not paid on her rent, that we had to pay. Now that we know where she is, can't we go after her for that payment?

Can I file harassment charges after the fact? She has on several occassions called, threatened, yelled...so can I file a complaint now? I also want to get a restraining order so that she stops calling and "showing up" where we are, but do I need some sort of proof that my life is being threatened to get that order?

H

Humble Warrior

Defamation is a hard case to prove,BUT.......if you have a business for example,and can show the courts records of income prior to the allegations,and afterwards,with a notable difference not due to the economic surroundings,you have a case. A copy of the news cast would be a real asset for you too. Combined, you can prove damages to your reputation,and your income,thusly a defamation case is won. Otherwise it is just "sticks-n-stones" name calling,and your screwed.

B

booboos

Thanks!

Thank you for your advice. I really needed to know that not all was lost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">