• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

worthless check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missourimama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

In February in anticipation of my Tax return, i gave my landlord 4 post dated checks...she cashed the first two, but then we had a discussion about her destroying the 2nd 2 because i could not cover them. We had several discussions about us not being able to afford the rent because i'd lost my job, and she agreed to lower the rent. I wrote her another check in may, and there was not enough money to cover it. My payroll check bounced, and caused a couple of checks to go back. My employer went to the bank and deposited the amount of my check plus the NSF charges. She did not contact me so I thought that this was one check that went through. I subsequently received an letter from the prosecutors office that she turned in all 3 checks. Is this legal? Can I be prosecuted for checks that were never presented to my bank? I have no problem paying the last check, however when I tried to contact her, she would have NOTHING to do with us. We eventually had to move because we could not communicate with her at all. Any help at all would be appreciated. I am looking at a Felony charge for something that I DID NOT DO....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">