• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would I be breaking the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RowanFromTX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas,specifically Houston

First off let me say:I have no idea if this is the right section for this question.There were so many different sections,I just went with what I thought was right.

So basically,I want to start a blog.One that is a combination of autobiography,slice of life,and advice column.The thing is,is that in addition to posting things relevant to my present life,I'd also like to talk about my past.

One of the things I'd want to talk about on my blog would be my sexuality,sexual exploits,and my experience with drugs that I had in my mid to late teens.This is where I'm wondering if I'd be breaking the law.Could I be opening myself up to prosecution if I talked about my former drug use?Would I be allowed to talk about any sex I had when I was a teenager,back when both myself and my partners were underage?

I really would like to do this project.I know with what little I described it might seem like smut,but I honestly think the finished product could help a lot of people who might be going through what I went through.But if it's going to be breaking any laws and/or could land me in jail,it's certainly not something I want to go ahead with.

Can anyone help me out here?

justalayman

you can talk about anything you want. While the drug use comments aren't going to get you arrested, they might cause your local police to look at your current habits a bit closer.

as to the sexual exploits; you need to research the statutes of limitations for prosecuting any possible crimes. Especially since you are speaking of minors, the sol is often extended to some time beyond the victim reaching adult hood. Some crimes simply do not have a statute of limitations. Your confession on your website could very well come back to haunt you.

RowanFromTX

as to the sexual exploits; you need to research the statutes of limitations for prosecuting any possible crimes. Especially since you are speaking of minors, the sol is often extended to some time beyond the victim reaching adult hood. Some crimes simply do not have a statute of limitations. Your confession on your website could very well come back to haunt you.
Is it a crime to have sex when your underage?The only time I had sex with someone underage was when I myself was underage.I didn't think that was against the law.Is it something I should look into?

Proserpina

Is it a crime to have sex when your underage?The only time I had sex with someone underage was when I myself was underage.I didn't think that was against the law.Is it something I should look into?

Being underage yourself does not preclude a criminal charge if you're having sex with someone else underage.

CavemanLawyer

As already stated, it is impossible to be charged with a drug crime based on your comments about prior drug use. Not under Texas law at least.

As for sex you had as a minor, with other minors...

There is no longer a statute of limitations for sexual offenses against children but you are talking about some years ago so the statute of limitations was 10 years after the child turned 18. So in other words, you can be charged up until the day the "victim" turns 28.

It is possible to be charged for having sex with a minor, even though you are a minor... In fact it is possible to charge BOTH of the kids if the State really wanted to. If the other person was under the age of 14 you could technically be charged with aggravated sexual assault of a child and its no defense that you were also of similar age or that it was non-forced contact. If the other person was 14 or older but under 17 then there is an affirmative defense to prosecution if there is no more than 3 years difference in age between you. If the person was 17 or older then they were old enough to consent to sex.

Even if the statute of limitations has not run, and you don't qualify for the 3 year affirmative defense and you post about it on a blog I would be shocked if any DA took charges against you. But as with anything you post online, do it at your own risk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">