• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong numbers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Balram

Utah

I have a friend who works at a call center in Utah in which she relays calls between deaf and non-deaf people (speaking for the deaf person, typing for the non-deaf person). As I understand this communication is federally regulated to be as accurate as possible, and she has taken to connecting to the wrong numbers when the deaf person requests she connects to an automated menu. She chooses numbers that infinitely loop a message so that her employers register her as being on a call; to the deaf person she claims they are on hold with the menu they think they are calling.

I am worried the company can do more than just fire her if they find out. Would they be able to charge her with fraud, either some kind of impersonation thing or Honest Services Fraud? If so, perhaps I can convince her to stop doing this. If they could press fraud charges, what would be the range of legal consequences?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">