• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully charged Consumption by Minor??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r0nndutch

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi about yesterday at 2am i was sitting the back of a pickup truck with another and was pulled over by campus police at UTSA the officer informed us that it was dangerous to be riding the back of a pickup and proceeded to take all our drivers license and asked what we've been drinking. my friend next to me admitted to drinking 1 beer from a keg and when he asked what i drank today i simply said fruit juice. the driver was 21 and was not over the limit so he didnt recieve any fines. My friend however recieved a citation for Consumption by a minor and i was given a citation i thought for a traffic violation for riding in the back of the truck but it turns out when i got home it was for minor in consumption and it stated " said he drank beer from a keg" which i never said.as soon as i saw that it was the wrong crime i immediately called to no avail but the next day i went to the police station to get a dispatch report explaining my case to prove as soon as i saw the error i went to question it i was wondering would it be wise to fight this in court with or without a lawyer?? or just give in a plead guilty im a poor college student and was wondering the severity of the crime ie on auto insurance, college reputation for grad school scholarships etc.

p.s would any of this evidence help?
i went to receive a dispatch report to prove that as soon as i saw the error i reported it immediately
i have the cellphone logs of my attempt to contact campus police as soon as i foudn the error
witness statements from my buddy that stated i never stated "drank beer from a keg"
also copy of buddies ticket that states " said he drank beer from a keg" ( would help prove officer was careless and just issued 2 of the same tickets w/o listening)

thank you any help would be greatly appreciated i am scared and confused as i have never been in this kind of situation before.

seniorjudge

grasmicc said:
Show up at court and plead not guilty. Bring all relevant evidence and witnesses to trial.
Make sure you SUBPOENA the witnesses (i.e., a court order to make them appear).

It's just amazing how many good friends with important testimony to give "forget" to show up for court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">