• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Charged with telephone harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnWillis

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I recently learned thru an ad from a law firm that I had been charged with telephone harrasment. I was never contacted by the police and as far as I know, no investigation was done. Can I be charged with something without even be questioned about the situation?

Secondly, I didn't even harrass the person who filed these charges against me. Here is the back story: I lent this person (lets call her #1) a cell phone, and when it was returned to me, it was destroyed. I didn't really care, as I didn't want anything to do with this person anymore. I then gave the cell to another friend (lets call her #2) who bought a new handset. She felt the person who destroyed the phone should pay for it, and told her she needed to pay for it. She text messaged her constanly asking when she planned on paying for the phone. The phone and phone number are under my plan, so I'm still owner of it. #1 called me and told me she doesn't think #2 exist, and that I'm the one bothering. I told her I had no motive and I pleaded with her to leave me alone. #2 told her to go to her website and sign up to volunteer at her tsunami fundraiser and things would be even, and she wouldn't bother her about the money anymore. #1 refused to do.

Does she have a case against me? What can I do, because I don't want #2 to get in trouble? Sorry, it was so long, but I wanted to make sure I got everything in.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Q: Can I be charged with something without even be questioned about the situation?
A: Yes

Q: Does she have a case against me?
A: For what? It's the government you need to be worried about.

Q: What can I do, because I don't want #2 to get in trouble?
A: Spill your guts when you get arrested even if it gets #2 in trouble.

Last edited:

JohnWillis

Thanks for the help.

I probably should've said:

Is there a case against me? Should I get a lawyer, or just go pick up the summons?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Should I get a lawyer, or just go pick up the summons?
A: Yes and yes

Q: Is there a case against me?
A: "I recently learned thru an ad from a law firm that I had been charged with telephone harrasment."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">