• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrote bad checks on closed account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AhhCRAPP

What is the name of your state? CA

About a month ago I signed up for a subscription on the internet twice on two different sites. The amount was for 29.95 and 34.95. I did something stupid and signed up via e-check with account numbers to my closed bank account. I feel so guilty and wish I never did it.

The subscription was automatically suspended from the website about 3-4 days after signing up. I used my real name with my closed bank account and my real home address when signing up. Only the contact number I made up.

I havent had anyone contact me about it and I wish they would so that I could make good on the check. What could come of this? If the website was to prosecute, would I be contacted by local authorities or automatically have a warrant for my arrest? I have a clean record and something stupid like this really worries me. I want to make this right but it seems awkward for me to call the website and ask about it. If I'm not contacted about it, should I just forget about it?

what is the likelyhood that the website, would press charges?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Have you received anything for which you have not paid? If they suspended your account and did not provide you anything in return, chances are they are not going to pursue any criminal action. Even if you DID get at least some use of the subscription before it was canceled, it is doubtful that the company will pursue you.

However, what you did could be charged as one or more felonies.

- Carl

AhhCRAPP

Have you received anything for which you have not paid? If they suspended your account and did not provide you anything in return, chances are they are not going to pursue any criminal action. Even if you DID get at least some use of the subscription before it was canceled, it is doubtful that the company will pursue you.

However, what you did could be charged as one or more felonies.

- Carl
I know what I did was illegal, but felonies? over 29.99 and 34.99?

I have a hard time believing that a DA would even try to prosecute for felonies. I was thinking, at the worst, go to court, sentenced for misdemeanors. Ordered to pay back and get probation as a differed sentence.

also, if they wanted to prosecute, how could they prove I did it without a doubt? Sure they have my IP, but I was at work and using a neighboring wifi connection. Anyone could have done it, from the janitor all the way up to anyone around stealing free internet. That is one big reason I doubt the DA wouldn't give this a second look, no proof of identity.

still, I was wrong to do it. I will never do such a thing ever and at the moment I did it, I never thought this was a crime until I clicked sign up. I still feel guilty over it. Time will tell how this thing will unfold, but I seriously doubt felony charges will come of it.

seniorjudge

I have a hard time believing that a DA would even try to prosecute for felonies. I was thinking, at the worst, go to court, sentenced for misdemeanors. Ordered to pay back and get probation as a differed sentence.

also, if they wanted to prosecute, how could they prove I did it without a doubt? Sure they have my IP, but I was at work and using a neighboring wifi connection. Anyone could have done it, from the janitor all the way up to anyone around stealing free internet. That is one big reason I doubt the DA wouldn't give this a second look, no proof of identity.

still, I was wrong to do it. I will never do such a thing ever and at the moment I did it, I never thought this was a crime until I clicked sign up. I still feel guilty over it. Time will tell how this thing will unfold, but I seriously doubt felony charges will come of it.

It's called forgery.

Even if it were for $1.00 it would be forgery.

CdwJava

Yep. You knowingly and intentionally attempted to purchase something on a closed account - this can be charged as burglary, forgery, and possibly others as well ... depending on the details. Forgery can be charged either as a felony or a misdemeanor. Intent comes into play as does the actual act.

The odds of an internet company tracking down the appropriate agency where they would file this is slim to none - in fact, I have never heard of it happening. But, if they did, the DA can go for whatever he wants to (within the confines of the statutes, of course). if the police are going to spend any amount of time on this, and this kind of act takes time to build a case, they would almost certainly seek felony charges.

There are ways ... I'm not going to tell you how, but it's not rocket science. It's all about taking the time and effort to do follow up. But, as I said, given the situation and the amount of the loss, I doubt any report will even be made.

- Carl

AhhCRAPP

If anything, I receive any letter to pay up, I will gladly do so. This should avoid potential court dates if it were to arise.

I appreciate all of your input.

I'll give an update on this thread if anything happens.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">