• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Xanax and Shoplifting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goosezee

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Florida

Let me begin by saying, I am not a permanent FL resident and am temporarily renting a house here while my husband is in the military.

Here's the timeline: I woke up and took my PRESCRIBED Xanax (low dose just to manage my anxiety and depression and whatnot) and it kicked in around 6am when I woke up. This dose 'expires' around 5 hours later.

I went to my local grocery store and picked up a couple things around 10:30/10:45 (I probably arrived there right at 10:40am) and upon exiting the store I was stopped for shoplifting. They let me off 'easy', no cops were called, no fines were paid and I was banned from the store as a chain. Ok I'm not worried about that....

What I'm worried about is that I LITERALLY had no recollection of putting the item in my purse (a pregnancy test which I don't even have a need for) I remember looking through the brands and knocking them over, then my phone made a noise and I left the aisle.

My concerns are as follows;
a. Should I get my doc in on this and 'fight' them on this, or just nah.
b. If they don't believe me (I did NOT disclose that I was on Xanax because that's not their business) can they come after me?
c. How long do bans last? They made it clear that I couldn't enter ANY of the store but not for how long (when I'm 50 I'll probably look different and have different hair.) I don't typically shop there anyway but I'm still curious.

Any advice is welcome!

{Side note about Xanax; I have never experienced symptoms this severe though I did take a DVD from my brothers house once after reading the back of it which was almost 5 years ago. I have heard shoplifting stories from Xanax users before but all of the stories I've heard end in jail processing or fines - I had neither. I am also working with my doctor to find an alternative to Xanax}

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your excuse really is a poor one. Don't go to their stores any more. When you receive the civil demand, pay it and move on with your life.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
a. Should I get my doc in on this and 'fight' them on this, or just nah.
Fight them on WHAT exactly?

Using drugs is never an excuse for committing crimes. You certainly feel it's all justified since you don't remember anything - well guess what? The system doesn't work that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">