• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is yelling at someone and throwing the phone to the floor against the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yikes2

Tennessee

I just had a mattress set delivered, and everything was wrong, from the delivery time (by 3pm, but arrived at 7pm) to the coating on the mattress (they put Teflon on it, had ordered a fabric cover) that is required for the 30 day return policy. Noting the discrepency in the cover, I called the store before signing the delivery confirmation. I was outraged to find out that the mattress had Teflon on it, and when the store said they couldn't do anything about it, I raised my voice to the manager on the phone, complaining about the whole sale. The delivery guy then fussed at my children for making noise, and I told him not to scold my kids. He said he was leaving, and the manager wouldn't budge, so I threw my cellphone down. It didn't go near the delivery guy, he had already turned to go out the door, and he didn't jerk or anything like he thought it was aimed at him. (It wasn't, I was truly throwing it on the floor.) Anyway, he left, and now I'm wondering if he can press any kind of charges for throwing a phone in his presence, or raising my voice. I didn't curse, insult, or say anything personal at all, it's just that I have never yelled at someone on the phone or in person in a business situation. I was just loud and upset, almost in tears. How ridiculous over a mattress set, I know. Should I be worried?

rmet4nzkx

If you are not being charged for the extra coating, don't sweat it. Why on earth would you throw your celphone on the floor, that doesn't solve anything except perhaps for maybe having to buy another one. You have an anger problem, I suggest you get some counseling for it and also teach your children to be quiet when someone is on the phone, it might be easier to take care of business that way without losing your temper.

yikes2

I was charged for the extra coating...

Not that it matters, they rang up the wrong item, coating instead of mattress cover, so I did pay. I realize I was lost control of a situation in which I had no control to begin with, and I am going to find help. But in such a sue-happy country, is there anything I should be worried about?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yikes2 said:
Not that it matters, they rang up the wrong item, coating instead of mattress cover, so I did pay. I realize I was lost control of a situation in which I had no control to begin with, and I am going to find help. But in such a sue-happy country, is there anything I should be worried about?

My response:

Legally, no. However, losing your temper in front of your children is only going to continue that type of pattern into the next generation. That's what I would be more concerned about, if I were you.

That type of bad behavior is "learned", and because it is, it is completely unacceptable behavior around children.

IAAL

yikes2

Thanks, and you're right. I am devastated that I lost it in front of my kids. I am going to do whatever it takes to manage my temper. This episode is the exception to my personality, not the rule, but I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yikes2 said:
Thanks, and you're right. I am devastated that I lost it in front of my kids. I am going to do whatever it takes to manage my temper. This episode is the exception to my personality, not the rule, but I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't happen again.

My response:

You're welcome. Sometimes the "side issue" is more important than a writer's "main issue" - - and this was one of those times.

Now, let's all sit down to a dinner of hog jowls, and squirrel stew! Yeeeee Hawwwwwww!!

IAAL

igot?'s

WOW.... i cant believe what im reading... are you people seriously telling this person that they were wrong to get mad "in front of children"??? this is honestly the most retarded thing ive read in a while who cares if you throw your phone on the floor? and of course you're going to be frustrated when someone gets your order wrong and its more frustration than anger that you cant do anything about it so i dont think you have an anger problem Now this is why kids are going crazy... if you people are whining about getting mad in FRONT of them about something that the person was completely RIGHT about then whats going to happen if the kid does something so blatantly wrong....are you going to castigate this person if they GROUND their kid? are you going to objurgate them for yelling at the kids???? and the delivery man was soo wrong to say anything about your kids behavior...its on you not him to tell them what to do its on you, now had he told you to please quiet them down while a phone call was taking place then i dont see a problem with that but what he did was wrong and you had every right to tell him not to domineer your kids

rmet4nzkx

OP didn't just get angry, they came unglued and they realize they were wrong, they have an anger problem. If they had got upset and resolved the issue in a rational manner, that would have been appropriate in front of the children. Children learn by example. As it is the children don't even know to be quiet when their parent is on the telephone. The poor delivery person is just doing their job delivering what is loaded on their truck. IAAL and myself would be remiss not to point out the obvious and to refer the person to counseling while there is an opportunity for change.

igot?'s

dont question my insights into child phyche i know more about children and what they learn than you do and this is not something that children will care enough about to emulate....in all honesty i wouldve gotten mad at this person for NOT having an emotional outburst when they were right and had no recourse and WHY would you think that just because they got frustrated and threw their phone this action means they became "unglued" and have an anger problem in no way, shape, or form does this imply an anger problem unless it is a recurring conjuncture and another question why would this person need counseling its not a big deal every person in the world has emotional outbursts and that does not mean they have an "anger problem" because like i said this outburst was more of frustration that led to anger and frustration causes more extravagant outbursts than does anger this person was NOT wrong for becoming frustrated in a FRUSTRATING situation

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

igot?'s said:
dont question my insights into child phyche i know more about children and what they learn than you do and this is not something that children will care enough about to emulate....in all honesty i wouldve gotten mad at this person for NOT having an emotional outburst when they were right and had no recourse and WHY would you think that just because they got frustrated and threw their phone this action means they became "unglued" and have an anger problem in no way, shape, or form does this imply an anger problem unless it is a recurring conjuncture and another question why would this person need counseling its not a big deal every person in the world has emotional outbursts and that does not mean they have an "anger problem" because like i said this outburst was more of frustration that led to anger and frustration causes more extravagant outbursts than does anger this person was NOT wrong for becoming frustrated in a FRUSTRATING situation

My response:

yikes2, if you're still reading this thread, this is exactly the type of behavior that I was talking about. "igot?'s" is a prime example of "anger out of control", and THIS is only on a written post! Can you imagine "igot?'s" attitude in person, and over a REAL problem?

Obviously, "igot?'s" parents did this to him/her in front of him/her while a small child that carried over into adulthood.

You don't want your child to turn out like "igot?'s".

IAAL

Veronica1228

Adulthood?

igot?'s
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2005

In this case if he had died I'm sure a good enough lawyer would be able to win. If he had been shot a good enough lawyer could win, and the sad part is i might need to go to civil court more often but the simple fact that im a minor negates that possibility.

igot?'s

its funny that you would read my post in a way that imply's im angry because i didnt intend to have a tone of anger in it....as for me "turning out like this as an adult" this is simply wrong... i am a kid myself and i know how i would decipher a situation such as the one described and i can guaruntee that i would see nothing wrong with a parent of mine acting the way that yikes2 did so like i said...dont question me about kids because who would know better than a kid how kids act and react?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

igot?'s said:
its funny that you would read my post in a way that imply's im angry because i didnt intend to have a tone of anger in it....as for me "turning out like this as an adult" this is simply wrong... i am a kid myself and i know how i would decipher a situation such as the one described and i can guaruntee that i would see nothing wrong with a parent of mine acting the way that yikes2 did so like i said...dont question me about kids because who would know better than a kid how kids act and react?

My response:

Not worth responding to. I rest my case.

IAAL

igot?'s

not worth responding to? why,i present a viable argument and this is where you are supposed to have a rebuttle,? or is it because i am a kid and what i said makes sense...and you dont want your opinion to be belittled by a 16 year old

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

igot?'s said:
not worth responding to? why,i present a viable argument and this is where you are supposed to have a rebuttle,? or is it because i am a kid and what i said makes sense...and you dont want your opinion to be belittled by a 16 year old
Please do not breed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">