• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Between Country Lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan1405

(Newbie/New Member)

I will be traveling between the USA and Canada on a regular basis as Commercial Truck Driver (CDL License). I am a USA born citizen. Ten years ago – I was a victim of indenity fraud here within the USA. Someone was using my ID (Drivers License) illegally which resulted as a “felony” on my record. Since then I believe I corrected this; but I am not one hundred percent sure. As we all know some things mysteriously come back to haunt you when you originally thought that you fixed them. How can I verify that my background record is clean and free of any false felonies, etc? What USA government agency should I contact and what Canadian government agency should I contact to do a background check on me? And what are the cost involved?

FlyingRon

Unfortunately, the Canadians are not particularly helpful on this. The only way to really probe your admissibility is to actually try to get admitted. You can do this at major entry airports or about 5 roadway crossings that have the bigger customs offices at them (the Ft. Erie -- Buffalo crossing is one for example).

FlyingRon

Yes, getting the card will require you to go to one of the afore mentioned points so you can get it tested and resolved right there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">