• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brazilian Charity requesting a copy of my Passport or ID as proof to gov't of donatio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

I have donated to a Brazilian Charity (which I trust completely) and they are now requesting a copy of my Passport or ID as proof of tax-deductible donation... what can really go wrong if the copy of my passport falls into the wrong hands? Seems like it wouldn't be possible to do anything very damaging to my identity with just a black and white photocopy of a passport, but then again, I have no idea what is possible. I saw that people copy passports and IDs for many reasons, so I'm thinking it can't be all that risky.

I trust the charity, but there is always the possibility of some bad guy looking for ways to get IDs and seems like a charity would be an easy target. Apparently, this is common practice in Brazil, as they have sent me a form verifying the donation to be signed by me and someone overseeing it at the charity, then they stick it in a file with the copy of my passport and it just sits there until the Brazilian government might ask for proof that some American really donated this money when it comes tax time.
U.S. Law Only.

ClassicTimmy

My question is about US Law since I am a US citizen and really have nothing to do with Brazil. Like, at all. I made a donation because I wanted to help this organization this one time.

My US law question is: What can go wrong and what are the legal ramifications of this? Since US citizens make donations abroad all the time, this should be a fairly common situation.

LdiJ

My question is about US Law since I am a US citizen and really have nothing to do with Brazil. Like, at all. I made a donation because I wanted to help this organization this one time.

My US law question is: What can go wrong and what are the legal ramifications of this? Since US citizens make donations abroad all the time, this should be a fairly common situation.
I have never heard of any legit charitable organization that asks for copies of people's passports or IDs.

ShyCat

And what does the Brazilian government have to do with a tax deduction on a US tax return?

Or are you filing taxes in Brazil?

ClassicTimmy

Let's break this down:

1. US Law covers international affairs. The US Passport is a US document. If something can possibly go wrong then I am liable, but what I might be liable for I have no idea.

2. I am not filing my taxes in Brazil and I am not even declaring my donation on my US taxes. The Brazilian regulation is for the donation's tax purposes. They can't accept my donation without it and I would like to help them. However, the idea of photocopying my ID and sending it to Brazil sketches me out because I don't know what could go wrong and what the legal ramifications for me could possibly be.

So, I am just trying to discern what US Law generally has to say about it since I can't be the first person to make a charitable donation in Brazil.

Last edited:

ClassicTimmy

I have never heard of any legit charitable organization that asks for copies of people's passports or IDs.
Well, do you know anything about the Brazilian government? It's very easy to be vaguely suspicious (I certainly am), but I know the organization which has expanded all over the world at this point and is opening a location now in Brazil, which is why I want to donate to the project.

Why do they need this, you ask? They have told me that regulations are very strict on non-profits in Brazil. Presumably during tax time to prove to the Brazilian government that, yes, an American really did make a donation in this amount to a Brazilian charity and they're not just a front for a drug smuggling operation.

Right on their Paypal donation page it says they need this info in order to accept the donation.

The fact that it says this right on their donation page is obviously going to hinder their ability to get donations from people like me who don't freely give that sort of information, but I do want to help them.

Again, this is a US Legal forum, so let me explain again how this is a US legal concern:

1. US Law covers international affairs. The US Passport is a US document. If something can possibly go wrong then I am liable, but what I might be liable for I have no idea.

2. I am not filing my taxes in Brazil and I am not even declaring my donation on my US taxes. The Brazilian regulation is for the donation's tax purposes. They can't accept my donation without it and I would like to help them. However, the idea of photocopying my ID and sending it to Brazil sketches me out because I don't know what could go wrong and what the legal ramifications for me could possibly be.

So, I am just trying to discern what US Law generally has to say about it since I can't be the first person to make a charitable donation in Brazil.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You asked what can go wrong...if you can't see what can go wrong when a major identifying document falls in to the wrong hands then a forum can't help you.

ClassicTimmy

You asked what can go wrong...if you can't see what can go wrong when a major identifying document falls in to the wrong hands then a forum can't help you.
Do you realize how easy it is to come up with these sort of responses? Do you know anything about the law in these matters or do you just get off making yourself feel intelligent by saying obvious things on forums such as this? If you can't help, then stop wasting everyone's time with useless responses.

Zigner

Do you realize how easy it is to come up with these sort of responses? Do you know anything about the law in these matters or do you just get off making yourself feel intelligent by saying obvious things on forums such as this? If you can't help, then stop wasting everyone's time with useless responses.
...says the guy who is contemplating his PASSPORT INFORMATION to random strangers in Brazil...

Best of luck to ya!

ClassicTimmy

...says the guy who is contemplating his PASSPORT INFORMATION to random strangers in Brazil...

Best of luck to ya!
Again, thank you for wasting everyone's time. Not random strangers, I happen to have worked with the organization for 7 years, just not in Brazil. I don't typically give my information out to anyone, obviously, or I wouldn't be asking. Please stop pretending you are a genius for recognizing the obvious aspects here which I am already asking about. I mean, really, how intelligent do you have to be to think you are pointing out something new which is in the very question that is being asked? You know nothing about these matters or Brazilian law, so go away.

LdiJ

Again, thank you for wasting everyone's time. Not random strangers, I happen to have worked with the organization for 7 years, just not in Brazil. I don't typically give my information out to anyone, obviously, or I wouldn't be asking. Please stop pretending you are a genius for recognizing the obvious aspects here which I am already asking about. I mean, really, how intelligent do you have to be to think you are pointing out something new which is in the very question that is being asked? You know nothing about these matters or Brazilian law, so go away.
You are now being told for the third time that this forum is for US law only. Why would you think that a US law forum would have any knowledge of Brazilian law?

ClassicTimmy

You are now being told for the third time that this forum is for US law only. Why would you think that a US law forum would have any knowledge of Brazilian law?
And what part of US Law covering international affairs don't you understand? It's a US document and there are certain legal responsibilities, but since I am clearly not the first person to make an overseas donation, this must be a common legal issue for people who actually have knowledge in the matter. Those people are obviously not here today.

Just like, for example, when people make offshore accounts for tax-avoidance schemes, they are using US law to do it. Except this is not a scumbag tax-avoidance scheme. This is just $100 donation.

Last edited:

Zigner

And what part of US Law covering international affairs don't you understand? It's a US document and there are certain legal responsibilities, but since I am clearly not the first person to make an overseas donation, this must be a common legal issue for people who actually have knowledge in the matter. Those people are obviously not here today.

Just like, for example, when people make offshore accounts for tax-avoidance schemes, they are using US law to do it. Except this is not a scumbag tax-avoidance scheme. This is just $100 donation.
Why not make the donation to a different branch of the organization and ask them to forward it for you?

Really, IMO, it's a tremendously, colossally, stupendously stupid idea to send off a copy of your passport. PARTICULARLY for a mere $100 donation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">