• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a gun

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Don401

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Back in 1996 I was "5150ed" and held for almost two weeks. I can't remember how long they actually held me. This was not a judge-ordered event, it was just an involuntary commitment

What confuses me is that in California you have to wait 5 years after you are 5051ed before your gun rights are reinstated, but on a federal level, you apparently loose your gun rights permanently.

Why difference does it make what any state says about the matter if the federal government bans you permanently for a 5150? Can I, or can I not buy a gun?

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Back in 1996 I was "5150ed" and held for almost two weeks. I can't remember how long they actually held me. This was not a judge-ordered event, it was just an involuntary commitment

What confuses me is that in California you have to wait 5 years after you are 5051ed before your gun rights are reinstated, but on a federal level, you apparently loose your gun rights permanently.

Why difference does it make what any state says about the matter if the federal government bans you permanently for a 5150? Can I, or can I not buy a gun?

Fairly sure the answers here won't be any different to those on the other forum.

FlyingRon

You "apparently" are wrong. If all you had was a 5150, there was no FEDERAL impact PERIOD.
If you were 5250'd then yes, you were then "adjudicated mentally defective" and get into the catch-22 of the fact that there's no way to "undo" that in California that will result in removing the Federal ban.

CdwJava

If you were held for TWO WEEKS, then you were not held per W&I 5150, you were held per 5250 and thus the federal exclusion definitely applies. Sorry, but you cannot own, possess, or purchase a firearm per federal law (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4)).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">