• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Government Seize Historical Treasure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Treasure Chest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
Please help a writer researching a new novel! (This may be fiction but it's serious biz to me.) In my story, my hero buys an old book while visiting various flea markets in London. On returning to the States, the book is found to be a valuable historical treasure, maybe worth millions. QUESTION: Can the British government claim the item? It wasn't found like a treasure ship on the ocean floor - This item was purchased. She doesn't remember which flea market booth she got it from, but it was bought in London. I could possibly alter the plot to have the purchase take place in America, but it is still a British historical item. Could the British government make a claim to it? I appreciate your help!

Isis1

we don't do British Law here. very different from US law.

and like most writers, they pay consultants for this type of information.

CdwJava

Perhaps you can Google a variety of terms and come up with writings that might cover the law.

I found a number of possible gems including this one:

http://www.law.uoregon.edu/org/oril/docs/12-1/cheng.pdf

The section on treasure here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/keeping_lost_found_and_uncollected_goods.htm

There are many others. The Brits appear to be notorious for claiming ownership of any ancient treasures, so a finder's fee might be able to be arranged.

Best bet, as suggested, might be to consult an expert in the import of British antiquities or someone who is engaged in the salvage trade.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">