• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can guardian open mail/intercept mail of 16 year old ward of the state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigthinka

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son's girlfriend is a 16 year old ward of the state- having been abondoned by her parents. She is currently residing in a home for unwed mothers since my son is also 16. Is it legal for the head lady of the home to read and scan all of her incoming mail and deliver ONLY what she decides to?

Also, is it legal for her to read and NOT send stamped mail adressed to my wife? The girlfriend was never told that the mail was not sent.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to reference:

69. Any person who otherwise than in pursuance of his or her duty opens or tampers
with or wilfully destroys, makes away with or secretes any mail or postal article or
allows any mail or postal article to be opened or tampered with, destroyed, made away
with or secreted is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to
imprisonment for a period not exceeding seven years or to both a fine and such
imprisonment.

Wilfully obstructing or delaying mail
70. Any person who wilfully interferes with the conveyance of any mail or through
whose act or neglect the conveyance of any mail is interfered with, is guilty of an offence
and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one
month for each hour or part of an hour during which the delivery of the mail is delayed
in consequence of any such interference or to both a fine and such imprisonment.
Wilful opening or delay of postal article or telegram
71. (1) Any person who wilfully opens any postal article or telegram which he or she
knows ought to have been delivered to another person or does any act or thing whereby
the due delivery of that article or telegram to such other person is prevented, obstructed
or delayed, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment
for a period not exceeding two years or to both a fine and such imprisonment.
(2) This section does not apply to any person who is the parent or in the position of
parent or guardian of the addressee if the addressee is a person under sixteen years of
age.
Impersonating officer
72. Any person who impersonates or represents himself or herself to be an officer is
guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not
exceeding two years or to both a fine and such imprisonment.
False declarations
73. Any person who, in appearing before a Regulator or in applying for a licence
makes a false statement knowing it to be false, is guilty of an offence and liable on
conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years or to both
a fine and such imprisonment.What is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son's girlfriend is a 16 year old ward of the state- having been abondoned by her parents. She is currently residing in a home for unwed mothers since my son is also 16. Is it legal for the head lady of the home to read and scan all of her incoming mail and deliver ONLY what she decides to?

Also, is it legal for her to read and NOT send stamped mail adressed to my wife? The girlfriend was never told that the mail was not sent.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to reference:

69. Any person who otherwise than in pursuance of his or her duty opens or tampers
with or wilfully destroys, makes away with or secretes any mail or postal article or
allows any mail or postal article to be opened or tampered with, destroyed, made away
with or secreted is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to
imprisonment for a period not exceeding seven years or to both a fine and such
imprisonment.

Wilfully obstructing or delaying mail
70. Any person who wilfully interferes with the conveyance of any mail or through
whose act or neglect the conveyance of any mail is interfered with, is guilty of an offence
and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one
month for each hour or part of an hour during which the delivery of the mail is delayed
in consequence of any such interference or to both a fine and such imprisonment.
Wilful opening or delay of postal article or telegram
71. (1) Any person who wilfully opens any postal article or telegram which he or she
knows ought to have been delivered to another person or does any act or thing whereby
the due delivery of that article or telegram to such other person is prevented, obstructed
or delayed, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment
(2) This section does not apply to any person who is the parent or in the position of
parent or guardian of the addressee if the addressee is a person under sixteen years of
age.
Impersonating officer
72. Any person who impersonates or represents himself or herself to be an officer is
guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not
exceeding two years or to both a fine and such imprisonment.
False declarations
73. Any person who, in appearing before a Regulator or in applying for a licence
makes a false statement knowing it to be false, is guilty of an offence and liable on
conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years or to both
a fine and such imprisonment.What is the name of your state?
You FAILED to reference the powers GRANTED by the state/court to the guardian/custodian/head lady. :rolleyes:

bigthinka

I didn't understand your response. I'm not an attorney. Are you saying that I have to find out what additional powers have been granted to this woman? How would I find this information?

Notwithstanding your response, in most cases, are her actions legal or illegal?

BlondiePB

I didn't understand your response. I'm not an attorney. Are you saying that I have to find out what additional powers have been granted to this woman? How would I find this information?

Notwithstanding your response, in most cases, are her actions legal or illegal?
Legal guardians are granted the power to do such things.

bigthinka

Do you know at what age this power stops? Why does the law state that the age of 16 as being the limit?

1. (1) Any person who wilfully opens any postal article or telegram which he or she
age.

BlondiePB

Do you know at what age this power stops? Why does the law state that the age of 16 as being the limit?

1. (1) Any person who wilfully opens any postal article or telegram which he or she
age.
When granted the power to do so, there is NO age limitation. The power stops upon discharge of the guardian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">