• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get money for a cop getting my straightner stolen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pink13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am 16 years old, I was being physically abused by my step father so I ran away. When the cops came and got me I was at this girls house. They wouldn't let me go upstairs and get my stuff. My 200$ professional straightner was upstairs. I have asked the girl to give it back to me and she says she doesn't have it. Could I get money because the cop got my straightner stolen?

Last edited:

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am 16 years old, I was being physically abused by my step father so I ran away. When the cops came and got me I was at this girls house. They wouldn't let me go upstairs and get my stuff. My 200$ professional straightner was upstairs. I have asked the girl to give it back to me and she says she doesn't have it. Could I get money because the cop got my straightner stolen?
You can take the girl to small claims court if she refuses to pay you. You might even be able to report it stolen. And, if you are feeling particularly ****y, you can make a claim to the law enforcement agency and when they reject your claim, you can take the city to small claims court.

Of course, then the question is going to be how you prove that the straightener was left at the residence? If the friend says it was there when you were taken by the police, then SHE becomes responsible. If she says it was NOT there when you were taken by the cops, then there is no proof that it was there at all. It can be a Catch-22 situation.

pink13

CdwJava- thanks that gives me some idea of what I can do.

& stealth2- Would you like to lose absolutely everything? Probably not, so you can keep your mouth shut & stop being rude. Grow up!

sandyclaus

CdwJava- thanks that gives me some idea of what I can do.

& stealth2- Would you like to lose absolutely everything? Probably not, so you can keep your mouth shut & stop being rude. Grow up!
Honestly, unless your friend gives up the straightener, it's a lost cause. If you think you're frustrated now, just imagine what it will be like having jumped through many, many hoops only to be told that you have wasted your time.

You seriously need to be concentrating your efforts on more important matters. A missing hair straightener is merely a grain of sand in the vast desert of your life right now. Focus your efforts on things that matter - like dealing with the abuse you allegedly suffered at the hands of your stepdad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">