• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can town offices charge more than state statue specifies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snoopdog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI
For a particular license to be issued by the town, the State statue specifies a fee of $40 and that the license is to be issued for four years duration. Several towns in the state make up their own rules. One town charges $40 but only issues the license for one year, another town issues for four years but charges the $40 fee, plus a $200 processing charge.

I would not think this would be legal, but how do you contest this type of a abuse?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI
For a particular license to be issued by the town, the State statue specifies a fee of $40 and that the license is to be issued for four years duration. Several towns in the state make up their own rules. One town charges $40 but only issues the license for one year, another town issues for four years but charges the $40 fee, plus a $200 processing charge.

I would not think this would be legal, but how do you contest this type of a abuse?
It would take some pretty serious research to find out whether or not its legal...and research that you could only do at the state and local level. I suspect that it is because towns and cities do have the right to impose different kinds of fees and taxes in order to support local government and services. It would also be helpful to know what kind of license it is.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
For a particular license to be issued by the town, the State statue specifies a fee of $40 and that the license is to be issued for four years duration.
I can't begin to imagine what license would be issued by either a town or state. If it's a state license then the state would issue it if it's a town license then the town would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">