• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a Catch-22 While Trying To Replace IDs! Need Advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luce2387

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA (Washington)

Hello. I don't know the appropriate place to put this so I figured this is a good spot.

I am in an extremely tight situation without any other options or know what to do. I am trying to renew and replace several IDs however I am stuck in a never ending catch-22 circle. Here is the story:

I am from New Mexico and my state identification expired last September. I didn't mean to let it expire for so long but at the time I was in the middle of moving from California to Washington and my life was pretty hectic for months which resulted in me also losing my SSC. I didn't get a chance to go find the DMV to renew my license in time. I went to the DMV with as many documents as possible but I need 4 of the B-List documents they list in the pamphlet they gave me. However, only 3 of the documents even apply to me and the rest are non-applicable or I simply cannot get them. I have a certified state birth certificate from NM, my old expired ID and a high school transcript. I don't have absolutely anything else otherwise I would not be stuck in this situation. The possible 4th option for me is also a SSC but I do not have that as I need to get a replacement.

I went to the SSC office to try and get it replaced but they all require documents I can only access if I have a valid ID. The other option is medical records but I cannot get those without a valid ID either (I've tried!)

So the catch 22 is: I need to get my identification from the dmv but I need my social security card to complete the list of required documents to show. I need a valid ID and other documents to get a replacement social security card. I cannot get either of these and they do not have any advice for me and only shrug their shoulders.

I'm out of options and I cannot possibly go or do anything without identification. I don't know how to get out of the situation and no one wants to help me. Any advice is welcome and I am willing to answer further in-depth or clarify if needed.

Edit: I should have stated that I've already looked at their website. Despite what it clearly says, I'm still being denied due to no evidence of a physical card. I have talked to people at the DMV and at the SS Office. They tell me I need these documents and don't know how else to help me. I called someone at the SS Office on the phone last week and she told me medical records but ofc I can't get those without ID.

Any actual HELPFUL advice aside from linking me to the obvious is appreciated.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Unaccepted documents

If we can’t accept your documents, we'll work with you to see what other options are available and acceptable.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html
4. Visit a driver licensing office

Visit an office to start your application or to finish the application you started online. Bring the following:

Proof of identity, including your out-of-state license.
Payment for the fees.
Your Social Security number (mandatory to help enforce child support laws).
You don’t need to show us your card, we’ll still be able to verify it.
If you don’t have a Social Security number, you must verify your WA residence before you can proceed.

At the office, you’ll need to:

Pass a vision screening
Pay any fees
Decide if you want to register to vote and be an organ donor (optional)
Pass any required tests:
If you have Pass these tests

An expired license from another state Knowledge and drive test
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">