• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phones and cell phone bill reimbursement questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkr_girl98

I was the new president of a small union. due to the constant use of the executive boards cell phones, we voted as an executive board to get phones for union use. after getting said phones, I also had the treasurer cut me a check due to the extremely high bill for my personal phone that had incurred because of union business
the former president has gone to the national complaining about the executive board phones and the amount of reimbursement. the national board had sided with me initially, but they're now threatening legal action. what should I do?

justalayman

Um, defend your actions.

depending on your unions bylaws, you need to determine if you were both allowed to do what you did and if you followed proper procedure in doing what you did. If you acted improperly in either of those situations, you should be held accountable for your actions. If you acted properly, you should be vindicated.

rkr_girl98

thank you...there aren't any bylaws, the former executive board didn't create any, it's actually the former board who are creating the stink about the phones. I went and sold the phones recently because having them were creating such a problem, so the money will be going back in, but the treasurer gave the ok for the check for my personal bill. I just wasn't sure if I should get a lawyer or ride it out...

justalayman

If you have a union, there must be some rules of operation. That is what the bylaws are. Put it this way; without bylaws, you have anarchy which makes having a union impossible.

but, based on your response, I see why you were having problems.

rkr_girl98

The local itself doesn't have any bylaws, the national rep suggested that we just follow the national's bylaws. I just went back through and read them, all the bylaw states regarding finances is that 2 officers are required to sign the checks. This has been going on since December. When I spoke to the national rep in December about it, he was understanding and said it wasn't a problem. 3 months later, I received an email from him telling me that its an issue. I didnt do anything improper, I submitted my bill with the overages, the treasurer gave me the check. I don't get why it has turned into this huge ordeal.

swalsh411

It's not your fault the check didn't have 2 signatures on it. Tell him to take it up with the treasurer if he feels the procedures were not followed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">