• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City clerk states Must pay out or account holders own pocker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

songboat

iOWA
A homebound City resident's utility bill is past due. The Pastor of the church goes to City Hall to pay on her account. The City clerk refuses payment stating the payment must come out ot the pocket of the person who's name is on the account. Pastor leaves, puts payment in account holders pocket and returns to City Hall with the disheveled disabled person. Clerk accepts payment from account holder. I have never know any creditor who will not accept payment from any person willing to pay on the account. :confused:What legal category does this fall into.:eek:

Just Blue

iOWA
A homebound City resident's utility bill is past due. The Pastor of the church goes to City Hall to pay on her account. The City clerk refuses payment stating the payment must come out ot the pocket of the person who's name is on the account. Pastor leaves, puts payment in account holders pocket and returns to City Hall with the disheveled disabled person. Clerk accepts payment from account holder. I have never know any creditor who will not accept payment from any person willing to pay on the account. :confused:What legal category does this fall into.:eek:
It falls under the category of ..."Richardhead". The resident and Pastor should pay a visit to the Richards boss and explain what happened. ;)

I STRONGLY would advise this. Petty little DICtators must be removed. :cool:

songboat

Yeah, is there a legal basis for the demand. If so under what law or statute.
If there is no legal basis, what would you categorize the clerks behavior? Ethical? Perhaps conflict of interest that account holder is not aware of. I just never heard of any entity demanding payment come from account holders pocket, like had to be taken from pocket in front of clerk.

songboat

"Richardheads" must be a personal meaning for you using that term. lol I'm listening. If the clerk has that much authority, account holder might want to lay low for fear of being cut of at the faucet. lol

justalayman

There is no legal requirement the account holder make the payment. Why the clerk made the demand is something you would need to ask the clerk.

Just Blue

Yeah, is there a legal basis for the demand. If so under what law or statute.
If there is no legal basis, what would you categorize the clerks behavior? Ethical? Perhaps conflict of interest that account holder is not aware of. I just never heard of any entity demanding payment come from account holders pocket, like had to be taken from pocket in front of clerk.
No. There, IMO, is no "legal" basis.

Guy/Woman was being a jerk. Perhaps that person has an "issue" with people getting assistance and was making it difficult. IDK.

The Pastor and the resident NEED to discuss this with the supervisor.

This is not going to be a lawsuit "lottery". But perhaps that employee will be removed or reprimanded.

Just Blue

"Richardheads" must be a personal meaning for you using that term. lol I'm listening. If the clerk has that much authority, account holder might want to lay low for fear of being cut of at the faucet. lol
A "Richard" is a ...well... "banning word" .

Last edited:

Just Blue

seems like a bullying tactic to me, it isn't me I am scared to let anyone I know about this.:cool::(:eek::p
No...It a jerk thing. Don't make more out of it than it is. Let the Supervisor know that payment was offered and that employee "turned it down" because s/he didn't "see it come out of the residents pocket".

The person will be dealt with. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">