• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City forcing me to use their private company for leasing rolloff dumpster.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VagaBond61

Texas. My in laws have a trailer park that was one of many the city has forced to close for ordinance violations. We couldn't afford to put in drainage paved lot etc.
Now we have 3 abandoned trailers that will have to be torn down and removed. I will be doing this for my family and the city said that I have to use them to acquire a roll of dumpster. They have sold the franchise right for garbage to this company, who's rates are substantially higher than many other companies in the area. Do I not have the right to bring in my own dumpster for proper removal of construction/ demolition waste?

TigerD

It will be cheaper to use the City's company than to take the issue to court and fight it.

Make that decision first. Then explore whether the city is right or wrong.

DC

justalayman

I would like to hear their basis for being able to force the use of a particular contractor though.

You say the city sold the rights for garbage collection to this company. Not sure exactly what that means but often times a city will contract with a private company for some service. The fees tend to be mandatory regardless of whether you use their services or not. That does not preclude a person from hiring a different contractor to provide those services for them. It ends up you pay twice for the same service though.

Texas. My in laws have a trailer park that was one of many the city has forced to close for ordinance violations. We couldn't afford to put in drainage paved lot etc.
Now we have 3 abandoned trailers that will have to be torn down and removed. I will be doing this for my family and the city said that I have to use them to acquire a roll of dumpster. They have sold the franchise right for garbage to this company, who's rates are substantially higher than many other companies in the area. Do I not have the right to bring in my own dumpster for proper removal of construction/ demolition waste?
If the city has given you a deadline for getting the debris off the property as long as you get your private dumpster off prior to the deadline you should be fine.

P.S. Congratulations on being a slumlord. You must be proud. :rolleyes:

quincy

Contacting the city directly and addressing your question to them is probably the best way to learn the answer. Without knowing the name of your city, it is hard to research the matter and provide a definitive answer.

Generally speaking, however, you have the right to contract with anyone you choose. But, that said, you could still be obligated to pay for the city service as well, as justalayman noted. It depends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">