• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Under Chaos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatienceMarie88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right topic to post under- but I saw nothing in light of the issue at hand.
I was recently contacted by people from my hometown about troubles going on there. I knew of some troubles and how fast things really have gotten out of hand, but I had no clue the city was doing nothing for them safety wise. Recently is has topped state wide in murder and crime ratings, and this was all within the last year. The narcotics in that area has gotten so bad they are basically handing it out right in front of cops. Note this is a VERY small city.

I have concerns for my family still there, and my friends who unfortunately never got to move away from there or can't. They just recently let a woman go after a very short stay in jail for murder and within a few days another murder took place. The woman suspected is still out roaming the streets, and they have no intentions of bringing her back in. They've also recently let a woman go on bail for $5k for 2 negligent homicide charges and from what I'm told from people in that area had a small bust recently of AK47s that was in the hands of children.

I've been instructed by the citizens in that area that when they call the police force for help, they are usually given some excuse or they'll say, "Well if they come around again give us a call" when they have been called on many occasions for the same problem. Police officers that are family of people in that area that are actually trying to do their job has told their loved one's that they are trying their best but a lot of very shady and probably illegal things are going on within their work force.

A lot of the people in that area are under educated or simply older citizens that do not know where to go to make things change. My question is, is there anything the citizens can do to get a higher legislation in there to clean house, or to have an investigation started to see what's really going on in their city? I know I probably didn't word all of this right: I'm in no way, shape, or form familiar with legal systems. I fear for my family and friends though, and so do they. Just yesterday friends I know in that area was saying they are scared another murder will take place soon. This is no way for people to live, and the people that are supposed to be protecting them and actually doing something aren't.

Thank you for any advice on what they as citizens can do to get help where they need it!

Best Regards,
Patience.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right topic to post under- but I saw nothing in light of the issue at hand.
I was recently contacted by people from my hometown about troubles going on there. I knew of some troubles and how fast things really have gotten out of hand, but I had no clue the city was doing nothing for them safety wise. Recently is has topped state wide in murder and crime ratings, and this was all within the last year. The narcotics in that area has gotten so bad they are basically handing it out right in front of cops. Note this is a VERY small city.

I have concerns for my family still there, and my friends who unfortunately never got to move away from there or can't. They just recently let a woman go after a very short stay in jail for murder and within a few days another murder took place. The woman suspected is still out roaming the streets, and they have no intentions of bringing her back in. They've also recently let a woman go on bail for $5k for 2 negligent homicide charges and from what I'm told from people in that area had a small bust recently of AK47s that was in the hands of children.

I've been instructed by the citizens in that area that when they call the police force for help, they are usually given some excuse or they'll say, "Well if they come around again give us a call" when they have been called on many occasions for the same problem. Police officers that are family of people in that area that are actually trying to do their job has told their loved one's that they are trying their best but a lot of very shady and probably illegal things are going on within their work force.

A lot of the people in that area are under educated or simply older citizens that do not know where to go to make things change. My question is, is there anything the citizens can do to get a higher legislation in there to clean house, or to have an investigation started to see what's really going on in their city? I know I probably didn't word all of this right: I'm in no way, shape, or form familiar with legal systems. I fear for my family and friends though, and so do they. Just yesterday friends I know in that area was saying they are scared another murder will take place soon. This is no way for people to live, and the people that are supposed to be protecting them and actually doing something aren't.

Thank you for any advice on what they as citizens can do to get help where they need it!

Best Regards,
Patience.
Maybe they should move...

This matter is way to complex/involved for an internet forum.

PatienceMarie88

Maybe they should move...

This matter is way to complex/involved for an internet forum.
I've reached out to a woman that works in office with our state legislation as well, but I just wanted to cover all bases.

You never know who has dealt with issues like this, and hearing what they may have done to handle things that may relate could maybe steer me in the right direction. Especially since it's the internet and people from different corners probably have much more knowledge than me lol.

Silverplum

http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Reps/H_Reps_ByDistrict.asp

http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Reps/H_Reps_Email.asp

http://www.ci.monroe.la.us/how-city-government-works.php

Eekamouse

I've reached out to a woman that works in office with our state legislation as well, but I just wanted to cover all bases.

You never know who has dealt with issues like this, and hearing what they may have done to handle things that may relate could maybe steer me in the right direction. Especially since it's the internet and people from different corners probably have much more knowledge than me lol.
You're making a lot of accusations but how much of your opinion is based on hearsay from your friends? You don't even live there so you don't know what's actually going on firsthand, do you?

PatienceMarie88

You're making a lot of accusations but how much of your opinion is based on hearsay from your friends? You don't even live there so you don't know what's actually going on firsthand, do you?
The only thing that is hearsay is what was said from the police officer to my friend that is their family members. All of the other points aren't just hearsay, but was published in their local paper as well. I should have worded that better than I did.

Zigner

The only thing that is hearsay is what was said from the police officer to my friend that is their family members. All of the other points aren't just hearsay, but was published in their local paper as well. I should have worded that better than I did.
Are you really trying to save the whole town?

Eekamouse

And what is it that you think you can do to bring the town back up to your standards? Perhaps you should move back there, run for mayor, get elected, then clean house.

PatienceMarie88

And what is it that you think you can do to bring the town back up to your standards? Perhaps you should move back there, run for mayor, get elected, then clean house.
Oh- I don't know, maybe help find a way that the citizens can come together to help bring safety back to my hometown.

I'm sorry you find my ambition redundant, but it's not a problem that directly effects you, so I can understand how YOU don't understand.

I hope you have a better day than your attitude <3.

Zigner

Oh- I don't know, maybe help find a way that the citizens can come together to help bring safety back to my hometown.

I'm sorry you find my ambition redundant, but it's not a problem that directly effects you, so I can understand how YOU don't understand.

I hope you have a better day than your attitude <3.
Does this mean you're going to move back and run for office as suggested?

Eekamouse

Good luck with that. I hope you succeed in your endeavor. It's a pity the people who live there don't care enough to do what needs to be done themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">