• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City workers damaged my property & left potential liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe Chip

Iowa is my state.
My home's property includes a small creek. The creek ran through a narrow channel about two foot wide. My home's title includes an easement clause that gives the city the right to have this storm water run-off channel through my property. The clause also defines the area that they have access to and allows increased access to improve the channel. So one day, without notice, the city showed up with a lot of heavy machinery. They used the machinery to strip the ground away on the whole lot. I was left with a flat muddy bog of stagnant water. The periphery of this property included a dozen 75 foot tall Douglas fir trees. The ground within inches next to these trees was removed several feet in depth. The operators of these excavation buckets tore the bark off the trees doing this. Through root loss or bark damage most of these trees are now dead or dying. Due to their height and position they pose a threat to the safety of people and structures nearby. The city refuses to take further action to repair the destruction they have caused. I am afraid one of these trees will fall over and kill someone.

LdiJ

Iowa is my state.
My home's property includes a small creek. The creek ran through a narrow channel about two foot wide. My home's title includes an easement clause that gives the city the right to have this storm water run-off channel through my property. The clause also defines the area that they have access to and allows increased access to improve the channel. So one day, without notice, the city showed up with a lot of heavy machinery. They used the machinery to strip the ground away on the whole lot. I was left with a flat muddy bog of stagnant water. The periphery of this property included a dozen 75 foot tall Douglas fir trees. The ground within inches next to these trees was removed several feet in depth. The operators of these excavation buckets tore the bark off the trees doing this. Through root loss or bark damage most of these trees are now dead or dying. Due to their height and position they pose a threat to the safety of people and structures nearby. The city refuses to take further action to repair the destruction they have caused. I am afraid one of these trees will fall over and kill someone.
Its time to get an attorney involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">