• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coinage Act of 1965 and Illinois Vehicle Code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Floridatrail

Illinois

Greetings,

I attend a local community college and I've recently received three parking tickets for reasons "not-displayed properly." I paid the first two tickets and appealed the second ticket and the second ticket was five dollars. The third ticket I've decided to pay but with pennies. I tried to pay ten dollars in pennies however the college's police said they won't accept pennies. I looked up the coinage act and the treasury department's interpretation of the act and pennies are considered "legal tender." Private agencies and organization apparently are able to make a policy in regard to not accepting pennies. However, the community college is publicly funded and therefore, according to my understanding, the college is required to accept the pennies. I was wondering if my interpretation of the coinage act of 1965 is correct. Am I "legally" able to pay with pennies because the college is a community college, state-funded and therefore public?

Also, according to Illinois Vehicle Code Chapter 12, Section 502, I am not required to have a mirror on my windshield also known as "rear-view mirror." I don't have a "rear-view mirror" hence the reasoning why I've been ticketed for "not-displayed properly." However, I've clearly placed the tag on my dashboard. I would like to know if my interpretation of the law is correct regarding mirror placement.

My plan at this point is I want to pay in pennies and I want to discuss policy change at the college regarding the tag placement policy. The ticket is only ten dollars and one may ask, "Why go through all the trouble over ten dollars?" I'm going through the trouble because they have troubled me. This is the third time I have been ticketed over something so trivial. When I wanted to pay my fine in pennies, the officer said, "I don't care what's in your student handbook." He upset me because as a student, I care about the handbook and I think officers should be accountable for their actions including speech. Am I justified or not? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Floridatrail

Where have you been putting the permit? Where specifically does the policy say it should be?
I have been putting the permit on my dashboard in front of the steering wheel. Very visible. The policy is on the back of the tag. It says I am required to have the tag on my "rear-view mirror." The vehicle code is says I don't have to have a "rear-view mirror." Specifically, a mirror on my windshield. They are requiring me to place a tag on a mirror that the state is not requiring me to have. Therefore, I shouldn't be ticketed for this.

Floridatrail

You're right. He, personally, cannot. From a purely legal perspective, they are required to accept them, however.
So what does that mean? I need "administrative" intervention in order to pay in pennies. What do you mean legal perspective? The reason I'm asking is because I'm speaking with the college's deans and such soon. I believe I have correct interpretation.

Floridatrail

You can't force them to accept payment in pennies. Grow up.
I know I can't force them. That's a given. But, I want to do what I'm entitled legally to do. I think you are implying that it's childish that I'm doing this. It's little childish acts like this that remind police officers out there that a few people still care about one's rights and abilities. However small, insignificant, or childish it may seem.

LillianX

So what does that mean? I need "administrative" intervention in order to pay in pennies. What do you mean legal perspective? The reason I'm asking is because I'm speaking with the college's deans and such soon. I believe I have correct interpretation.
Dude, there are mountains, and there are molehills. If you really, really think it's in your best interest to take up the dean's valuable time because you want to pay a $10.00 fine in PENNIES, no one is going to stop you, but remember, this is the person who holds your college future in his hands. Is that REALLY want you want him to remember you for?

LillianX

Legal Tender Status

Actually they are permitted to refuse barring a state law to the contrary.
Re-read what the answer to the first question on the webpage you linked states.

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services.
A parking ticket is a debt. It is not a good or service. There is a difference here.

justalayman

I have been putting the permit on my dashboard in front of the steering wheel. Very visible. The policy is on the back of the tag. It says I am required to have the tag on my "rear-view mirror." The vehicle code is says I don't have to have a "rear-view mirror." Specifically, a mirror on my windshield. They are requiring me to place a tag on a mirror that the state is not requiring me to have. Therefore, I shouldn't be ticketed for this.
well, I guess you are up **** creek without a paddle then. If it states you have to hang it on your rear view mirror, then that is where you have to hang it. Since you don't have one, I guess you cannot comply with the law and will continue to receive tickets.

Maybe you need to get one of those little suction cups with a hook on it so you can hang your tag.

Floridatrail

Dude, there are mountains, and there are molehills. If you really, really think it's in your best interest to take up the dean's valuable time because you want to pay a $10.00 fine in PENNIES, no one is going to stop you, but remember, this is the person who holds your college future in his hands. Is that REALLY want you want him to remember you for?
I understand what you are saying. Is it worth it? Yes and no. But, more yes. I'm doing this because I have the ability to protest policy and the shaky rationale to justify giving me a ticket three times in order to get money for the college. I have all my "ducks in a row" regarding graduation however. I'm not a half-***student. I've worked for the college and sustained a higher than average GPA. I have several faculty and students backing me on this. So, do I want a dean to remember the one student who stood up for those rules and policies that are dictated in the handbook? Definitely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">