• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customs taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mateo Maquina

I recently drove a truck down to Guatemala, through Mexico. At the Mexican border I had to pay taxes on goods in the truck even though everything was bound for another country. The customs officials then placed a pad lock on the truck that couldn't be opened until I reached the border with Guatemala. My question is: Does Mexico have the right to tax goods that are in transit to another country? I believe they are robbing the other countries of taxes that should be paid to them.

FlyingRon

Guatamala is still free to tax the shipment when you got there. How is that depriving them of anything. If they sealed your shipment, and you were inspected at the port of exit, you probably could have gotten the duty back (was this a US licensed vehicle?).

If you're going to transport goods internationally, it would behoove you to learn about what all you need to do when transitioning at each border IN ADVANCE.
It's a bit outside the scope of this forum however. We only deal with the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">