• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

determining eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oblivious

Hello, not sure if this is the forum for government benefits?

Just moved to Mississippi to take care of my mom who has dementia.

She provides me with shelter and I get SNAP for food so I can get by with out an income.

I do however need prescriptions refilled and am trying to get into a low cost clinic.

The problem is determining my eligibility as they want to know the income of all household members.

My understanding is that this qualification is intended for families with a combined income.

Mom's assets are frozen due to a conservatorship with a limited budget.

Is there legal terminology to convey her finances are separate from mine even-though we are under the same roof?

Thanks so much, Rick.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

She provides me with shelter and I get SNAP for food so I can get by with out an income.

I do however need prescriptions refilled and am trying to get into a low cost clinic.

The problem is determining my eligibility as they want to know the income of all household members.

My understanding is that this qualification is intended for families with a combined income.

Is there legal terminology to convey her finances are separate from mine even-though we are under the same roof?

Thanks so much, Rick.
What did the nice people at the office say when you asked them? :cool:

sandyclaus

Thanks so much, Rick.
So, SNAP pays for food, and Mom's assets pay for your housing.

How are you paying for your other living expenses? How is Mom paying for her medical care?

Have you spoken with someone at Social Services about assistance?

commentator

This is not something you need to work out ahead of time and be able to "argue" with the certifying entity. They will have heard of and dealt with this type of situation and will have the capability to examine it up and down once you have begun the certification process anyhow. You just honestly to the best of your abilities give them the information. You can provide them with copies of the trust paperwork if you have that available.

And yes, they will have to know all about your mother's situation before they can certify you. You'll provide her ss# and as much information as you have about her income, and they'll research it too. What they decide is not up for argument and will not be based merely on what you've told them, so knowing the correct term isn't really important.

Unless you can get a medical exemption to care for your mother, you may be required to participate in job seeking activities while receiving the benefits if you are approved.

Since Mississippi is one of the states that has recently refused the Medicaid expansion, there are a lot fewer people being approved for medical benefits in the state at this time.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Does mom need a full time caregiver? If so, WHO will babysit mom while the OP works? Who pays for the babysitter? Sometimes, it's cheaper to pay for kinship caregiving than outside help.

oblivious

What did the nice people at the office say when you asked them? :cool:
They do not determine the guide lines but they must follow them.

-

So, SNAP pays for food, and Mom's assets pay for your housing.

How are you paying for your other living expenses? How is Mom paying for her medical care?

Have you spoken with someone at Social Services about assistance?
I use her car to run errands as she does not drive anymore. Other than that, I have no expenses.

Mom has medicare and a portion of her budget is for medical expenses.

I only saw programs for families and single mothers but I guess a call to a social worker could not hurt.

-

This is not something you need to work out ahead of time and be able to "argue" with the certifying entity. They will have heard of and dealt with this type of situation and will have the capability to examine it up and down once you have begun the certification process anyhow. You just honestly to the best of your abilities give them the information. You can provide them with copies of the trust paperwork if you have that available.

And yes, they will have to know all about your mother's situation before they can certify you. You'll provide her ss# and as much information as you have about her income, and they'll research it too. What they decide is not up for argument and will not be based merely on what you've told them, so knowing the correct term isn't really important.

Unless you can get a medical exemption to care for your mother, you may be required to participate in job seeking activities while receiving the benefits if you are approved.

Since Mississippi is one of the states that has recently refused the Medicaid expansion, there are a lot fewer people being approved for medical benefits in the state at this time.
I explained the situation but they were not interested in the conservatorship papers. The only information taken were the required forms.

So rather than giving them all mom's financial information I will make her "household" separate from mine. Nothing to appeal that way.

Will look into a medical exemption but MS does not have the caregiver benefits other states have like minimum wage, etc . . .

-

Does mom need a full time caregiver? If so, WHO will babysit mom while the OP works? Who pays for the babysitter? Sometimes, it's cheaper to pay for kinship caregiving than outside help.
Yes she does and I am the kinship caregiver. However, her budget does not afford me payment.

Getting a job here would defeat the purpose of me leaving my job in Wisconsin and moving to Mississippi.

I would have to put her into a nursing facility and the idea is to let her live out her life at home.

Thank you! The caregiver roll is so often overlooked.

-

And thank you all for you help, Rick :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">